Removal at birth need advice

Mishy

Re: Removal at birth need advice

Post by Mishy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi im in the process of being assessed for care of my grandson as his mother taking drugs while pregnant thy asking if i know the dangers?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Removal at birth need advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 am

Dear Mishy,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I am Suzie, FRG’s online adviser.

I suggest you post on the Friends and Family Carers Board as you will receive a lot of help and support from other grandparents in your situation.
But I can briefly answer your question and direct you to other places for support.

I can see that you are being assessed to become a carer for your grandson in case he cannot stay with his mother. This will most likely be a fostering assessment.
Here is our advice sheet for friends and family carers about fostering assessments. . It sets out what to expect when you are being assessed by children services.

The social worker asked you whether you know the dangers around mum’s drug use.
I assume this question is whether you can “protect” your grandson from Mum’s risk to him due to her drug use. So are you able to always put your grandson’s needs before Mum’s needs? A lot of grandparents are used to looking after and protecting their children who are using drugs because they are so vulnerable. You might be asked to never let mum into your home because your grandson is there. Or she may have to live somewhere else. Is this what the social worker is asking?

You can also ask the social worker to go through all the dangers your daughter poses.
Here are some dangers listed by the NSPCC.

ADFAM provide help and support to families of drug users.

If you have any questions, please post again.

Best wishes,
Suzie