Advise on visitation

Post Reply
Stressed mummy
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Advise on visitation

Post by Stressed mummy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am

Hi I was wanting some advise on getting visitation rights. My partner was stopped by the family court from seeing his kids for 2 years. This was about 7 years ago. His children and ex have been in touch with him recently saying they want to start seeing him. We have a child together and social Services did assessment on us when he was little and found no problems so no further action was needed. His ex is wanting him to see the kids and contacted social services but they dont want ro know. There isnt anything in place saying he cant but with the trouble in the past wants to go through the right chanels. Can anyone advise on what we need to do going forward.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Advise on visitation

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:29 am

Dear Stressed Mummy,

Welcome to the Parents Forum.

It sounds like things have changed a lot for your partner. 7 years ago, he was considered to be risky to his older children to the extent that he couldn’t see them. Now, his most recent assessment by children services (in relation to your child) indicates that he is no longer risky. That is very good news.
Because of this, every one (mum your partner and the children) want him to have contact again.
However, the mother of his older children is being sensible and asking that children services re assess your partner before contact takes place again.
I suggest that two things happen:
First, mum email children services and set out the new circumstances, and ask them to confirm in writing that they agree to contact starting again and whether they want to re assess before hand. She can mention the positive assessment-dad may no longer be a risk; the childrens wishes to see their father, as well as their increased ages. If she still does not receive a response, she could challenge this by way of complaint. Here are our FAQ’s about how to do this.

Second, it may be a lot quicker for your partner to issue a private law application for contact, setting out the history plus the recent positive assessment. His exe can support the application setting out the proviso that an assessment of dad takes place. The court would then decide whether contact is in the best interests of the children. The court will look at these factors-welfare checklist , to help them make a decision.

For advice about children act, private law applications he could contact the child law advice line ,
advice now and Families Need Fathers.

Best wishes,


Post Reply