Post Reply
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 pm


Post by Basil » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:36 am

If your child goes into foster care s20, who pays for school clothes etc you or foster parents, also who takes them dentist?
And why is contact supervised?
when the placement is to help with difficult behaviour not abuse.
Sorry have to ask but getting nowhere fast with cs. Also Do you have to inform income support as cs say no, my benefits will not be affected is this right,

Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Finace

Post by Murray72 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Children's Services usually pay any costs incurred for example if the Child requires a bed or bedding or any School clothes. The Foster Carer recieves an allowance usually they are employed by an agency. If a family member is looking after the Child they will be elligable to claim any Child Tax Credit for that Child.

I think that any benefits that are related to Child Care would be affected as your no longer financially responsible for that Child.

Contact will be supervised so CS can make reports and observe how contact is between Child and Parents and any siblings. They will usually observe contact closely at first.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2677
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Finace

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Basil

Thank you for your post.

You advise that your child is accommodated in foster care under section 20 Children Act. This means that you have consented (verbally or in writing) to the placement going ahead.
parental responsibility is retained by you, and anyone else that may have it at this time, but not the Local Authority.

It is true that the foster carer receives an allowance, to cover all basic maintenance costs, but they could be a family member, employed by the Local Authority, or an independent agency.
Because your benefits entitlements may be effected if your child goes into care, it is advisable to be upfront with the benefits agency, and write to them informing them of any changes from the outset, so you don’t find you have been paid too much, resulting in you having to pay this back at a later date.

Furthermore, the length of placement may also impact on your benefits. For instance, if your child has been in care for an eight week period, the child benefit will usually be stopped.
You can seek further advice from the social worker or Independent Reviewing Officer, (the person who chairs the Looked After Review meetings) or by contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau on ... tax_credit.

Best Wishes


Post Reply