Family support worker visiting far too much

heartbroken80

Family support worker visiting far too much

Post by heartbroken80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi all,

My son of 4 years returned to my care last June after he was in foster care for a year.
Things are going well and I managed to get the social worker changed and I feel I get on well with her.
The new support worker was allocated around the same time.
I get on well with her too, however, I'm finding her visits too much.
She will sometimes arrange to see me at times several times in a week and if I don't see her or can't she reports back to the social worker that I cancelled.
We arranged this week to see each other on Thursday, however, twice so far today she has been knocking at my door as a neighbour told me.
I haven't contacted her as we had no appointment today so there is no need for her to turn up.
I did speak a while back to the social worker and asked her if there was a reason why I was getting an increase in visits. She said no, she just thinks the family support worker puts a lot into her job.
That is fine, however, her visits are causing stress that I don't need and if I had an issue and wanted to contact her, then I would.
Can anything be done as I am finding it hard to plan anything at the moment as I'm constantly concerned that she will turn up.
Thanks

QuestionMark

Re: Family support worker visiting far too much

Post by QuestionMark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:33 am

Can you text or email or find a way to get the actually arranged visits in writing? This way you can prove that, when arranged, you are at home and the visit goes ahead. Then you can also prove that if she turns up any other time it wasn't arranged and, as it wasn't pre-planned and agreed, you have other plans and were out

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Family support worker visiting far too much

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Dear heartbroken80

Thank you for your further post. You must be very happy to have your son back in your care. Unfortunately, because of the situation with the family support worker you say you are finding things difficult at the moment.

In your post you say that your son returned to your care under a supervision order. This means that the allocated social worker should be monitoring and providing help and support. Is there a plan regarding your son’s return home and does the family supporter visit as part of that plan. It seems that if there is a plan it should state how often the family support worker would visit and what support is being offered.

If there is no plan in place I suggest that you have a discussion with the social worker and ask for something clear in writing about the expectations so that you know exactly what you should do and when and how the family support worker will visit. It is important that you have clarity so that you do not find yourself in a position where it is said that you are failing to keep appointments or not cooperating.

I suggest that you keep a diary of appointments so that you are clear about when you are to have visits from the social worker or the worker. This will help you to have an up to date record and you can also note when the support worker cancels an appointment. Does any arrangement for support include announced or unannounced visits? Announced visits means you know in advance but unannounced means they can just turn up. This would not be a missed appointment if you are not home as you would not know about it.

Please read our advice sheet Reuniting children in the care system with their families which might help you now that your son has returned home. Please read page 6 for more information about support.

I hope you find this helpful but should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone the Family Rights Group advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday o Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie