Special Guardianship Orders

mumof32017

Re: Special Guardianship Orders

Post by mumof32017 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 am

Also I have just found out they have got a passport for my child frauently using this new name and told her Dr's school etc to use this name can I ask court to tell these places to change back to legal name

MCE1234

Post by MCE1234 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Sorry to jump on this post but I’m looking on some advice and where to start really was wondering if any one could help me? I had my son taken off me he was in care for nearly a year I was fighting for him though court nothing I did was good enough I think I was treated very poorly by the ss but any way he’s with my dad and his girlfriend under SGO basically I want to fight to have him back to me I’m in a totally different situation I’m older now and wiser and I just want my son home where he belongs and I know my boy wants it to we have an amazing bond but I just need him home I will do anything to have him back I will walk the world to just have him home

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Dear MCE1234

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Board.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. Thank you for posting and I can understand that it was hard for you to have your son removed from your. There is, however, a positive as he has been placed with a family member.

You say your father and his girlfriend has a special guardianship order for your son. You do not say whether or not you are having regular contact with your son. This would be an important factor.

It is not clear from your post how long your son has been living with his grandfather but this is also likely to be a factor in any consideration by the court about where your son should live.

I am including here a copy of our advice sheet about what special guardianship means for birth parents which I hope you will find helpful.

Whilst it is possible to ask the court for permission to make an application to discharge a special guardianship order, you must first be able to show that your have made significant changes to your life and the concerns that existed at the time the order was made are no long present. For example, if there were issues with drugs or alcohol, you should have addressed this and be able to provide evidence of the work you did, how long you have been abstinent. Please read page 15 of the advice sheet for information about discharging a special guardianship order.

I hope this helps. However, should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie

Nanny

Post by Nanny » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi;
I have an SGO for My two grandsons. My daughter sees them every day.
The boys love her as I'm sure your children love you. One off many sw said that It would be once a year contact.
The guardian working for the boys told courts that the Boyd need to see paren't as much as possible.
The father who was the problem does not bother with them now.
My daughter wants boys back and has made changes to help with this. She has been on her own now for 5 years. She help with taking boys to school and back she help bathing them. Helps with school home work. Always reads bedtime stories. The youngest I have had from both he is nearly 6. The oldest I got back out off care age two. He's nearly 8.
My daughter had many sw as they kept leaving and moving on. The problem we had was not communicating with each other as they left.
Wishing you luck. Stay strong and keep fighting if you can.
We are now looking into lots off parent courses to help her with her plan to have boys back. Then obviously finding out how much it cost to go court.
Good luck take care. Xx

Nanny

Post by Nanny » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Sorry can anyone help? How do you start court proceedings and how do you get courts to agree to discharging the SGO. How much will it cost from a parents point off view
Thank you for taking time to read this. X

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Dear Nanny

Thank you for your post on behalf of your daughter. If you have any queries from your own point of view as a Special Guardian and a grandparent then our Family and Friends’ Carers’ discussion board would be better for you to post on.

You have been caring for your two grandsons under a Special Guardianship Order (SG0) for most of their lives. Your daughter has been separated from the boys’ father, about whom there were concerns, for most of this time and she is now very involved in helping with the children and seeing them regularly. She is also looking into parenting courses to boost her parenting skills too. She could check with Family Lives for information about suitable courses. She would like the children to return to her care and you seem to be in support of this too.

As a parent your daughter needs the permission of the court to apply to end a SGO. You, as a Special Guardian, do not need the court’s permission to apply to end the order. Your daughter could also consider seeking a Child Arrangements Order for her sons at the same time. You can find out more about this here: DIY Child Arrangements Orders: information for family and friends carers here.

The tests your daughter faces to get permission to apply to end the order is:

To satisfy the court that there has been a significant change of circumstances since the SGO was made, and

That the court has considered the children’s welfare and the chances of your daughter’s application to end the order being successful.

It can be difficult to show that it is in children’s best interests to move from a carer and settled environment where they have lived for most of their lives but you and your daughter are clearly working closely and cooperatively together to care for the children and would need to be able to show why ending the order would be best.

Another option might be for you and your daughter to make a joint application for leave to discharge the order.

It is not clear if children’s services are still involved in any way but they were in the past. It may be a good idea to discuss with/seek guidance from children’s services in relation to the current situation and proposals.

Your daughter should have a look at pages 14 and 15 of Special Guardianship: what does it mean for birth parents? for some more information about when a SGO can be ended.

For advice about making a court application you could contact organisations which provide private law advice such as Child Law Advice or Rights of Women.

You can also find information about court forms e.g. C1, C2 and FM1 and about court fees from HM Courts and Tribunal Services. Another option is to contact the family court directly to obtain the necessary court forms and to find out more about fees.

Another parent who has gone through the process recently might be able to provide an update on their experience of applying for permission to end an SGO.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie