FREE PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT

whatnow

FREE PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT

Post by whatnow » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 pm

WHERE CAN I HAVE 1 DONE?
Last edited by whatnow on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: FREE PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:41 am

Dear Whatnow

Welcome to the discussion board. My name is Suzie, one of FRG's online advisers.

I am sorry to hear that you are finding the current involvement from Children's Services so distressing. It is not clear from your post whether you are in care proceedings at the present time.

If this is the case, you can negotiate via your solicitor which psychological expert would be the most appropriate to be appointed, if indeed the court directs this is necessary.

Outside of the court process, you could approach the British Psychological Society, where you can review the qualifications and experience to see which would be most relevant to your needs. All the parties would need to reach agreement about the appointment of any experts.

Whilst your GP may not have agreed that the assessment was necessary at the time, perhaps if they were fully aware of the reason for your fears, they may be willing to reconsider.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Suzie

NP123

Post by NP123 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi just some advise please, my son was removed at 3 days old due to having my other son removed And other concerns also when I had my other son I had very bad post natal depression and was in a bad relationship and not in a gud place in my life I have come such a long way moved to a new home grown up alot so much has changed, I have such a good bond with my baby love him so much n so does his father it's his first child over the moon to become a new father but yet they have done this its destroyed us feels like our hearts have been ripped out we just so confused about the whole thing I c him 4 times a week but breaks me every time when I leave him he's with foster people atm but trying to get him with familly my social worker has told me she wants him returned to my care once I do everything to prove them wrong the court case is ongoing I'm doing all I can to remain strong it is so hard though. My solicitor put me forward to go to a Assesment unit with my son well she applied for a thew But one of them have said they want me to do a psychological Assesment but I have a choice if I want it done or not but all parties go to a court have said they recommend I have it done but worried about the outcome because my solicitor and social worker said it might not be a good outcome also what sort of questions will they ask? Can I have some advise please.

NP123

Post by NP123 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:29 pm

[quote="Np"*]Hi just some advise please, my son was removed at 3 days old due to having my other son removed And other concerns also when I had my other son I had very bad post natal depression and was in a bad relationship and not in a gud place in my life I have come such a long way moved to a new home grown up alot so much has changed, I have such a good bond with my baby love him so much n so does his father it's his first child over the moon to become a new father but yet they have done this its destroyed us feels like our hearts have been ripped out we just so confused about the whole thing I c him 4 times a week but breaks me every time when I leave him he's with foster people atm but trying to get him with familly my social worker has told me she wants him returned to my care once I do everything to prove them wrong the court case is ongoing I'm doing all I can to remain strong it is so hard though. My solicitor put me forward to go to a Assesment unit with my son well she applied for a thew But one of them have said they want me to do a psychological Assesment but I have a choice if I want it done or not but all parties go to a court have said they recommend I have it done but worried about the outcome because my solicitor and social worker said it might not be a good outcome also what sort of questions will they ask? Can I have some advise please.[/quote]

* edited to preserve confidentiality.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Dear NP.

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum and thank you for posting. I can see that there are care proceedings at the moment and your baby is currently in foster care.
This is because your older son had been removed from you.
Since that time, you say things have improved for you. You have a supportive partner, your mental health has improved, you have a new home and you say you have grown up a lot.
In fact, things seem to be going well enough, that there is a plan for you and your son to be re united together in an assessment unit. While in the unit, your parenting ability will be assessed to see whether you are able to look after your son and whether you need any support to help you.

All the parties want you to have a psychological assessment. Your solicitor and social worker are right to say that the assessment could be positive but it could also be negative.

Have a look at our information about psychological assessments here.

It sets out why such an assessment may take place and could help you decide.

Did you have a psychological assessment in the proceedings that concern your older son? If so, they may want a psychologist to assess any change or improvement in your emotional health since then. So that may be a good reason to have the assessment.

However, sometimes a psychologist assessment, can identify an emotional problem or disorder that might need a lot of intensive treatment over a long period of time-such as 6 months to 2 years. The court may then decide it is too long for baby to wait.

What would happen if you did not have the assessment? Would the court assume that your emotional health is poor? Would it stop you moving into the assessment centre with your baby?
Ask your solicitor to set out the pros and cons for you.

If you decide to go ahead, you could ask to see the letter of instruction to the psychologist and ask your solicitor to explain what each question means.

I hope this helps but if you need further advice, please call our advice line again.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Hamal1411

Post by Hamal1411 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:18 pm

NP123 wrote:[quote="Np"*]Hi just some advise please, my son was removed at 3 days old due to having my other son removed And other concerns also when I had my other son I had very bad post natal depression and was in a bad relationship and not in a gud place in my life I have come such a long way moved to a new home grown up alot so much has changed, I have such a good bond with my baby love him so much n so does his father it's his first child over the moon to become a new father but yet they have done this its destroyed us feels like our hearts have been ripped out we just so confused about the whole thing I c him 4 times a week but breaks me every time when I leave him he's with foster people atm but trying to get him with familly my social worker has told me she wants him returned to my care once I do everything to prove them wrong the court case is ongoing I'm doing all I can to remain strong it is so hard though. My solicitor put me forward to go to a Assesment unit with my son well she applied for a thew But one of them have said they want me to do a psychological Assesment but I have a choice if I want it done or not but all parties go to a court have said they recommend I have it done but worried about the outcome because my solicitor and social worker said it might not be a good outcome also what sort of questions will they ask? Can I have some advise please.
* edited to preserve confidentiality.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Hi There, Im so sorry to read about your baby being taken. I know how you feel because my little boy was taken aswell 7 months ago and its been hell. The system is wrong and instaed of helping people they just take peoples children. Anything thats put forwards that social services have to pay for never happens. I had the same problem with wanting to go to a mother and baby unit. This could have been the best thing for both of us in the long run. I wish social services would do more for people in these situations. H*****

*Edited by Suzie to comply with board rules

NP123

Post by NP123 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi there is it ***? I know they quicker enough to take children away from good parents n don't want to help n pay for things that would be good for the parent n child but they will pay for mothers or father's to go to drug centers n help with other stuff if they bad the system is f***, also the social say be honest but u tell the truth they use that against u n also if u lie they use that against u you can't win n also what they don't realise that the impact that it has on our children when they say ooh we have the children's best interest at heart wat Eva. They make u look so little n make u out to be such a shitty parent like a physco or something n tell u to do all This stuff to work with them but still not good enough for them its like u can't win n so draining everything trying to remain strong n positive for the children as well as trying to fight to get the child back you just don't know what is wrong and which is right would be good to hear back.

*Edited by Suzie to comply with board rules

NP123

Post by NP123 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Suzie no I didn't have done with my other son, my solicitor did say I did have a choice to wether I want it done or not but if I don't they would be stuck I asked the LA to why they want it done and they said its due to my other son being removed he suffered from emotional abuse and a thew other issues they want to see if my parenting skills are met to see if I can look after my son but just don't understand as I've come along way I don't have mental health issues as to when I had my other son I couldent cope n suffered from post Natal depression i don't have that this time also they saying how good I am with my baby n contact is going really well I have been offered a place to go to a unit with him but they waiting on me to have the assessment done first im just so scared about having this done because it really could fail in just don't know I have spoke to my solicitor who's doing it how much experience they have and what questions they will ask I want as much information as possible if I was to have it done but I really do think I will have to as I said if I don't they will be stuck another thing back in July i did see a phycatrist at the hospital to see if there was any issues and if there was anything wrong with me he said I was fine i don't have no mental health issues or traits and said I wouldn't need to go bak to him. So what do u think can you give me some more advise please thanks all i want is my back in the best outcome i can have.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Dear NP123

Thank you for your further post.

It is understandable that you are worried and concerned about having a psychological assessment, however, the assessment will be provide the judge with additional evidence of your ability to care safely for your son. Your worry appears to be whether you will have a positive assessment or not. No one is able to tell you the outcome of the assessment. All you can do is to make a decision and you have been advised by your solicitors about this already and you have said it is a condition of you going into the residential unit to have the assessment.

As explained in the previous post, and I think you recognise as well not doing the assessment is not really going to help your situation. Your refusal to do the assessment could be used negatively in the sense that you are more concerned about yourself than putting your baby’s needs first. You have as you say come a long way since your other child was adopted and this is likely to be reflected in the assessment. Also, as there was no psychological assessment of you in the past it may be that the parties and the court want to be sure that you are given the chance to be assessed.

Please see the link about psychological assessment sent to you in the previous post. The psychological assessment is more about how you function on an emotional level and your ability to manage generally rather than your mental health which you say has already been assessed with a positive result.

As previously explained, the outcome of the psychological assessment could be that appropriate support is identified as this can be put in place to enable you to care for your baby. It could also conclude that you are doing well and there are no concerns.

The final decision rests with you but you should look at the positives that can come out of having the assessment although there are also negatives. For the outcome you want for yourself and your child engaging and doing all you can to show you can safely look after your child is what is important now. No one can force you to do the assessment but the court can reach a decision taking account of your refusal to be assessed. It would also mean of course that the unit based assessment with your baby will not go ahead so that would be two assessments not done. Consider what information the court would be making its final decision.

Do read our advice sheet about care proceedings from page 18 onwards about what happens when care proceedings start.

You may wish to discuss this with an adviser and, if so, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays.

I hope you find this helpful to you reaching a decision.

Best wishes

Suzie

NP123

Post by NP123 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Suzie thanks for getting back to me. The reason is to why they say they want me to have the assesment done is the place that was going to offer me a placement said they feel I need to have one done based on there being a bit of drug use whilst I was pregnant but do not have a addiction or nothing like, its not what the court asked me to do its my solicitor that said she feels I'm to have it done so she put it forward to the other party's but isent she working for me? Also I have now been offered a place to go with my baby in January and they are saying it is not something they need for me to get a place. I do feel the local authority want me to do this as they have a cocenrn from my past having my son removed due to emotional problems so they want to see about my parenting skills etc, but the place would cover a lot of this also problems with drugs if needed and they are saying how well my contact is going with my son and I'm very good with him and the local authority want to do a parent assesment on me whilst in contact with my son so a lot is getting covered. Also I had a lac review meeting the other day with local authority and a independent chair person who does the conferences and she said to me really talk to my solicitor as she wouldent want me to do if it will back fired on me which I'm a bit worried it will. My solicitor should be working with me not putting forward anything if it will back fire. Jus some advise please.