What happens the day that my child comes home?

MrsS016

What happens the day that my child comes home?

Post by MrsS016 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:46 pm

So I've searched the forum and I think this is the best place to post this. I'm sorry if it's not!!
My sons been in foster care since October 14th on a S.20, and today it was decided that June 14th will be the day that he is returned to my full care.
How does this usually go down? Will I come into contact with the foster carers this day? Will a member of the fostering team just drop him off with all of his stuff?
Will it be like contact where he's just handed to me, or will someone be staying with me for a few hours whilst I process what's going on?
Am I entitled to ask for my family support worker to be the one to drop him off, and spend some time with me whilst my emotions settle?
Thanks!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What happens the day that my child comes home?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Dear MrsS016

Welcome back and thank you for your post.

It is very good news that your son will be returning to your care after being in foster care since October.

There should normally be a phased return with your son spending long periods of time with you at contact; then coming home for contact and having an overnight stay. If the social worker has not explained the way in which your son’s return will be handled I think it is important that you ask him or her to explain the plan to you. This will let you know the final arrangement for the actual day that your son comes home.

It is important that your son’s rehabilitation home should done in a way that will ensure that neither your son nor you will feel overwhelmed by his return home.

A copy of our advice sheet about reuniting a child with the family is included here for your information.

I hope you find this helpful but should you wish to speak to an adviser, please feel free to telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie