parenting course

AC034

parenting course

Post by AC034 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi, I have been advised by my ex partners solicator for me to gain access to my son again i need to attend a parenting course. They did not specify what course to go on. I live in small town (in devon) with not many oppotunities for this, i have contacted local children centres with no luck on parenting courses or workshops avalible. I want to know if online parenting courses are good enough? I have found two courses Triple P (positive parenting program) that ive read is approved by CAFCASS and the second called solihull approach parenting course that has a goverment CANparent quality mark/ certificate upon completion.

Are these courses worth it in my situation ? Or is their any where else i could look.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: parenting course

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Dear AC034

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry you seem to be having difficulties having contact with your son at this time.

Regarding your question about parenting courses, the Triple P parenting course is a very popular one which I am sure would be satisfactory. I suggest you check with the solicitor that this is acceptable. Are you currently in court proceedings or, simply, negotiating contact with your ex-partner.

I suggest you put in your search engine ‘parenting courses in (D****). This will show information for courses and you will be able to identify the ones closest to you.

If you are in court proceedings and do not have a solicitor yourself, or would like more information relating to contact, I suggest you contact Coram Children’s Legal Centre (Child Law Service) on 0300 330 5480. They are able to advise you about contact as it is a private law matter. Their website is here

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best wishes

Suzie

nessie

Post by nessie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi there, I was wondering what happened with you as I had similar experience?
I applied for the same courses well over a year ago when the LA had started legal proceedings. I didn't fight at the last minute meaning my children have been under a care Order for 11 months. I contacted the parenting course providers again stating I had asked 1 year ago to go on these courses (plus a mental health worker put in a referral at the same time) and was told they would get back to me Funnily enough the parenting course providers phoned me a few months back to say I would not be accepted on the course as my children are in Care and I have such little contact.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Dear Nessie

Thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear that you and your family have experienced difficulties. Hopefully AC034 or another parent will come back to you to let you know how they got on or to offer some suggestions.

I just wanted to add that you could check with the family support charity:
Family Lives if they can recommend any parenting courses for parents with children in the care system.

Another option is to raise this issue with your children’s social worker or their Independent Reviewing Officer before the children’s next LAC review meeting and to ask if they can recommend or support you to access a course that might benefit you and your children. You can find out more about duties on children’s services when children are in the care system including LAC reviews and how you should be involved.

You mention that you have little contact with your children. Again the contact arrangements should be reviewed at every LAC review and if you would like to see if the contact arrangements could be changed (or to find out what you need to do so that this could happen) it is best to discuss this with the children’s social worker first. We have an advice sheet on contact with children in care which you might find helpful, especially the section which provides some “tips of arranging contact”.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

nessie

Post by nessie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Thank you for your reply Suzie but I asked to be put on parenting courses back in December. They have now reduced the contact to bimonthly and are wanting to reduce it further. I am not being listened to but being slowly and painfully phased out of my children's lives.