Assessment

sm1thy

Assessment

Post by sm1thy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 am

Hello
Last week we got a call from social service wanting to do an assessment on my autism child because apparently we are not meeting his health needs, this is from a health worker and doctor we change nearly a year ago because she was unwilling to put anything in writing. In that year we have got him sorted with a special school, medication, dietary need and got him speaking all while waiting for new doctors appointment. When they phoned they said because we have other children they will assess them as well even though there has been no report about them, they want to speak to my 5 year daughter, can they just turn up and do what they want regardless. They are coming this afternoon.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Dear Sm1thy,

Welcome to the Parents Forum.

Children services are carrying out an assessment of your family because they have received a referral from a GP and health worker.

Here is some information about assessments
that will hopefully put your mind at rest.

A social worker can only come into your home, if you agree or with a court order.
However, I would advise that you cooperate with the assessment. You will then be able to explain all the positives that you mention in your post and the mix up with the old GP referring.

It is normal for a social worker to want to contact other professionals who work with your children, such as the school, for example.
You should also ask the social worker any questions you have about their involvement.

You have asked about the social worker seeing and speaking your 5 year old child. Yes, that is a normal part of the assessment process, even though the referral is about a different child. The law says social workers should see all children in the household.

The social worker would also want to speak to your children away for you and the other parent. This is so a child can speak freely to them.
Parents understandably find that difficult. Here is some information about speaking to children .

I hope the links I have given help but if you have any other questions, please do post back.

Kind regards,

Suzie