Our children’s voices cannot be heard - why?

Hope

Our children’s voices cannot be heard - why?

Post by Hope » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Why is it that when child protection exists RIGHTLY to protect children, our children’s voices and wishes are ignored?

It is a question that nobody from child services are willing to answer.

ange301126

Re: Our children’s voices cannot be heard - why?

Post by ange301126 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:36 am

dear hope,I am sure the frg will advise you of the rules regarding your query,in the meantime I can only comment that in many cases the social workers are only willing to listen to anybody or anyone who concurs with their own decisions thus it is a possibility that they do not want your children's voices to be heard.
Might I suggest that you personally record the children's views either on paper or tape recorder? I understand that they and you are entitled to free speech under the human rights act and that there are no rules which debar you from acting yourself and talking to them yourself.Perhaps the frg can advise.

Hope

Post by Hope » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Thank you for the information Ange.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 am

Hope

Thank you for your post.

Under the Children Act and Human Rights legislation, the welfare of children is “paramount”. In deciding what is in children’s best interests- their wishes and feelings should be carefully considered, (dependent on their age and understanding) in any assessments being completed.

For instance, under Section 47 Children Act 1989, child protection investigations are often triggered as a result of a verbal or written disclosure of abuse being made by a child to an adult professional or family member.

Under these circumstances, Children’s Services have a statutory duty to investigate (and take appropriate action) where they suspect a child may have suffered, or be at risk of suffering significant harm. It is normal procedure for a child’s views to be obtained away from their parents.

In public and private court proceedings, the welfare checklist is a further requirement of the Local Authority to evidence, to the court, that a child’s views have been incorporated, and if necessary, to provide reasons about how far they have or have not been considered.

The role of the children’s guardian is to represent the children’s views, and challenge where these have not been taken into account, or if they believe a child’s best interests have not been considered.

Further information can be obtained from the Cafcass website at http://www.cafcass.gov.uk/about_cafcass ... er_me.aspx

or

Children’s Rights Alliance for England on http://www.crae.org.uk/rights/uncrc.html

Best Wishes

Suzie

ange301126

Post by ange301126 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:48 pm

dear hope, I agree with suzie.The Children's Act and the Human Rights Act command that the welfare of your children is paramount . This means that their thoughts and wishes should be taken into account.Suzie does not mention any rules which preclude you or any representative of yours (such as a solicitor) from talking and questioning your children. If you believe it is in their paramount interests that their voice is heard then you should ask them yourselves and record them so that their voices can be heard. I don't see any problem!