Daily Visits by Social Workers

Ignatious

Daily Visits by Social Workers

Post by Ignatious » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:45 pm

We are currently on a child protection plan. Recently had a Section 47 Joint Agency Investigation (now closed by both Police and Social with no further action). When we went on the S47, all 4 kids in house were removed s20 and voluntary agreement with family members, all 4 now back.
We were having daily visits, 7 days a week, unannounced (as in we knew they were coming, just didn't know when). I argued after the first Sunday visit that I wanted Sundays as Family time with no visits. Was told it would be considered. The following Sunday we had a visit by social worker. I was and am adamant that Sunday visits are non negotiable (no visits on a Sunday at all). Recently had a Birthday party and I told Social Services that if ANYONE turned up on that day they would be explicitly told 'where to go' and we got that Saturday off from having any visit. When a Social worker turned up on Sunday I refused entry. (It felt good). Having been told that we could it could be held against us for none compliance (I don't care, we have a great relationship regarding compliance, just i'm not backing down on family time), we are now down to 5 visits per week, still unannounced.

My argument is we've now had visits for the last 3 weeks pretty much daily. I would argue that this it potentially a breach of our Human Rights for 'Right to respect for private and family life, home and correspondance'.

Bearing in mind we are on a CPP, and I grant the 'Services' have a legal right to carry out there duties, where is the line drawn and have we got just cause to get these daily visits to cease.
I am a parent. My responses are not from any formal training background but from my own experiences, my own research and my own point of view.

Bee*

Re: Daily Visits by Social Workers

Post by Bee* » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:46 pm

I didn't even know that was possible. I have never heard of anyone being "lucky" enough to get a visit daily, they might as well live with you, and surely they have other families to deal with. Our former social worker, the one whose presence gave me panic attacks, threatened to move to weekly visits instead of fortnightly ones because of the way I presented around her. I thought that was bad enough. My current social worker visits once a month, never on a weekend because she doesn't work then, I didn't think any of them do, even in other towns, except for being called out for serious emergencies.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:57 am

Hi TonyP,

In respect of your question about the amount of home visits being possibly in breach of the Human Rights Act-it is a difficult question to answer.

Children services are trying to weigh up your right to family life with the absolute right of a child to be free from inhumane treatment.

If children services are very worried about a child at home, they will increase their monitoring which includes home visits as well as asking other agencies to up their monitoring-such as the police doing welfare checks.

If their worry about your children suffering significant harm tips over and satisfies the threshold criteria for care proceedings , then this may be the next step-and your families human rights will always be considered by the court.

Do you know whether children services have sought legal advice from their solicitor? Has the pre proceedings process (PLO-Public law outline) been considered yet?
If it has, have you instructed a solicitor? They could support any representations you might make to children services about decreasing the home visits.

You have successfully negotiated a reduction of visits to 5 times a week. Why don’t you ask the social worker, why the home visits are set at such a high level, what needs to happen for the visits to be decreased, and when will the level of visits be reviewed? At the core group meeting, for example.

All the positive home visits will hopefully provide evidence in favour of your children being safe at home. But equally, any problems, with access for example, or evidence of a child suffering harm, may support children services seeking court orders.

Your local child protection procedures should set out what happens if a parent refuses a social worker access to a child.

Please carry on being a compliant as possible. The level of home visits suggests that children services are very worried about your children. But as you have already done, negotiate with the social worker or team manager for less visits.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Ignatious

Post by Ignatious » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Update

(and thank you Suzie for reply post)

On last nights visit, we asked for clarification of an all agencies only strategy discussion on what was discussed. The 5 days have actually now been reduced to 3. Significantly more acceptable. (Sundays still a no visit time unless they need to for example 'safeguard')

No PLO in sight. So no need to consult solicitors. Yet. (not regarding this CPP anyway).

I think at the initial child protection hearing, we ticked just enough boxes to head to a CPP but only just. Were now getting the help we need (although at times it does seem more a hindrance). Approximately 8 appointments of some medical or dental variety this month alone. (ensuring the kids medical needs are being met).

Child Protection plan in July, Next BIG meeting in Oct, thereafter anywhere between 3-6 months,.. I want one in Jan whereby we recommend we come off (think Oct be too soon). and back off CPP in April (dropping down to a Child(ren) in need plan).

Would like to note here that one of the children has had more bruises this CPP that he ever did on the last one, and all bruises sustained this time were whilst he was in State Provided care. But as stated, we have a good relationship with Social Services in view of compliance and for the most part I have no issues. My bug bear is when they cross the line with apparent immunity.
I am a parent. My responses are not from any formal training background but from my own experiences, my own research and my own point of view.