Respite foster care under placement order

charmed1

Respite foster care under placement order

Post by charmed1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 pm

My children have been in "respite" foster care over Christmas without our knowledge. Is this common practice to give full time carers a break and should the social worker have told us as we share PR and this is a major change even if it is temporary for two weeks? Thanks in advance.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Respite foster care under placement order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Dear Charmed1

As you correctly pointed out, since you share parental responsibility, the Local Authority should consult with you and where possible inform you in advance of any significant change (s) to the care plan.

Were any reasons given for the respite placement such as an emergency like an unforeseen illness? I would make an approach to the social worker (copying in the Independent Reviewing Officer) and request the reasons in writing and why you were not informed beforehand.

Furthermore, the Looked After Review process should formally approve any changes made.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie

charmed1

Post by charmed1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Thank you Suzie. My daughter said (name) wasn't well. That is one of their main carers. However I can't be sure that was or wasn't a reason for a two week respite over Christmas. We weren't included in the recent LAC review in November and it wasn't mentioned at the supplementary meeting we had with IRO or social worker a week later. I just feel that more and more the children are being told stories.

Murray72

Post by Murray72 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:38 am

I had the same when my child was in FC, they would often go into respite when FC were away for weekend etc, it was never discussed at Lac review either, I only found out when child mentioned it.