Child Protection S47 procedures Wales

HelenofTroy

Child Protection S47 procedures Wales

Post by HelenofTroy » Wed May 01, 2024 5:05 pm

Dear All and Susie,
I am new to this forum. I first consulted FRG in 2019. At the time, the advisor I spoke with by phone suggested I apply for a judicial review. Unfortunately, that was not possible. I am really worried that you are unable to give advice (now) regarding children in Wales as there is extraordinarily little impartial advice on offer out there in Wales. Yet Child Protection legislation and guidance in Wales, as given by the NSPCC update 9th April 2024, shows: Legislation: Children Act 1989. 'In Wales the Children Act 1989 outlines when to initiate care proceedings and the duty of local authorities to safeguard and promote the children's welfare. Much of the Children Act 1989 applies to both England and Wales. As of April 2016, Part 3 of the Act (which refers to support for children and families provided by local authorities) has been replaced by Part 6 of the Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act 2014.'
More is written about the Children Act 2004 and the Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act 2014.
I wanted to write to FRG for some advice re the Children Act and s47 procedures but am blocked from the outset as I live in Wales. Section 47 procedures follow, I am advised, England and Wales-wide strict protocols/statutory duties which apply to both social services and the police, especially in respect of a report of a sexual assault of a 15 year old where the alleged act would have reached a criminal threshold. Ultimately my child moved to an English school as he/she was completely unprotected yet there was no follow through to English school and social care settings. I ask, therefore, if you can broaden your mandate to cover certain child protection topics for the Welsh populace as I strongly believe children in Wales are not currently being well served by services there and my understanding is that, whilst section 17s and 21s are now dealt with by the Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act, the more serious nature of Section 47 processes still holds sway in Wales. I would be grateful for your comments.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child Protection S47 procedures Wales

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 03, 2024 4:36 pm

Dear HelenofTroy

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your message. Unfortunately, you are right that our advice service currently covers England only. Whilst there may be content on the website (e.g. in relation to section 47 child protection enquiries) that you may find useful, we unfortunately don’t have the funding to provide up to date, accurate advice in respect of Wales. As you have acknowledged in your post, there are differences in some of the child welfare legislation, regulations, and guidance as well as processes between England and Wales (albeit there are also some commonalities).

We would need Wales-specific funding to increase our service capacity and knowledge base to be able to advise families with children involved with children’s services in Wales. Such funding and resources are not currently available to us. I am really sorry that we are not able to provide the advice you require.

Generally, you can make a formal complaint if you do feel that your Local Authority child protection team and/or the police have not investigated the concerns referred to them appropriately.

A complaint about the local authority child protection team should be made directly to the local authority's Complaints Officer. Your local councillor may also be able to help making such a complaint.

If you are concerned about the registration or actions of an individual social worker, you may wish to contact Social Care Wales by phone on 0300 303 3444 or email info@socialcarewales .

If you are not sure how to complain about a Local Authority department, you can also phone the Complaint Advice helpline for the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales on 0300 790 0203 or email ask@ombudsman.wales.

Complaints to the police can be made by using an online complains form , by visiting a local police station or calling 101. Complaints can also be made directly to the Independent Office for Police Complaints (IOPC) . The IOPC will forward the complaint to the relevant police force or Police and Crime Commissioner.

I am sorry to hear about the experiences the 15-year-old child you are referring to has had and the assault suffered. You may have already considered specific support for the child and family but here are some organisations that may be helpful:

- Stop it Now Wales
- Rape Crisis England and Wales
- Childline

It might also be worthwhile talking to the current school to identify if they are able to offer some additional support to the child. The school’s welfare officer is a good person to approach in the first instance.

There are also additional organisations which may be able to provide you with some advice which are at the bottom of our useful links page – useful links

All the best.

Suzie