What would you do?

Hauntingly Silent

What would you do?

Post by Hauntingly Silent » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:12 pm

In November social services returned one of our children home to us with no warning, literally less then 24 hours notice. She has settled in well,t here have been NO assessments done of our parenting, nothing
2 children remain in foster care, both split up, 9 and 10. Both wish to return home, they went into care under false allegations THEN it went to emotional neglect, which I have never denied, just back then due to situation I struggled with. (mental breakdown in 2019)

On speaking to the IRO, who is totally on our side, she has informed us social won't look into a new parenting assessment, just turned it down flat the whole idea of an updated one.
Do I
a) Send a simple email requesting assessments do take place,
b) Send an email stating ALL info on the changes my husband and I have made, with evidence if I have any and request assessments based on that information.
Since the last parenting assessments, we have done courses, healing, workshops, read dozens of books, changed our lives around got jobs, (well I have one waiting for me in a few months!)
we have a social network, go to church, and more! We are unrecognizable from the people we were at the final hearing, BUT the current social worker is basing us off old information!!
So wondering if its worth hitting them hard with things, in the hope of having assessments done?
Or do i ask simply, then when denied, tell them everything?

The only reason the IRO thinks is the manager wants to wait at least another year, until our daughter is settled before looking at reunification, but shes openly told us how can she be settled when she hasn't got her siblings here?
What would they be looking for in regards to being settled/proving we can keep her safe and meet her emotional needs?

Someone has mentioned else where about going for a discharge order, but is that too much, do I give them a chance first? As apparently dumping a child on us would go in our favour in court!

As stated this is a what would you do situation
help!

Hauntingly Silent

Re: What would you do?

Post by Hauntingly Silent » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:53 am

Anyone?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What would you do?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:52 am

Dear Hauntingly Silent

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s’ online adviser.

Congratulations on the successful return of your daughter to your care. It is good to hear that she is settling in well although missing her siblings. The circumstances of her return home are unclear and it is unusual that there has been no assessment completed of your daughter’s needs or your support needs. It sounds as if your daughter came home in an emergency situation perhaps due to a breakdown of the placement where she was living. In such a situation an initial assessment should have been undertaken and a fuller assessment of your family’s support needs should have taken place after her return. You are entitled to ask for such an assessment and to ask for help to be provided to ensure your daughter’s return home is stable. If you think it is necessary you could ask children’s services to consider exploring parenting support, therapeutic support, stress management, financial help or whatever you identify as necessary to maintain your daughter safely at home.

You have also described the changes that you and your husband have made since the children went into foster care which are very positive. You have also got a good network of support around you.

You would also like your 9 and 10 year olds to be returned home. They currently live in separate foster placements. You believe that children’s services will not consider a reunification assessment for your two children until they are satisfied that your daughter has reintegrated well at home and is safe and well-cared for. You are querying how to proceed and have identified some possible options.

I would recommend that you consider formally asking the children’s social worker to provide you, in writing, with a copy of their reunification policy (if they have a specific written policy) and information about what tools they use to assess. You could copy this request to the team manager and the Independent Reviewing Officer. At every Looked After Child review the professionals should consider if the current care plan for the children continues to be the right one.

As one child has just returned home it is understandable that there may need to be a defined settling in period before considering the potential return of other children.

However, you can ask children’s services to clarify their position on undertaking a reunification assessment for your children and a potential timescale for this.

You may want to try to get the best possible contact arrangements in place more urgently e.g. to seek more regular/longer/ home contact or to improve on the current contact that you already have with the children.

As your children are placed apart, you would need to know why this is and what needs to be done for the children to live together again, if that is possible.

It is helpful to update children’s services about positive changes that you have made and are continuing to make as this demonstrates your commitment and that you are working openly with them. If you are worried that the social worker focuses on the past history then updating them means they are aware of your current situation.

You could ask for a family group conference (FGC) to be arranged too, to bring your extended support network together, to support you now that your daughter is back in your care but for your other children. Please see this link for further information.

It may be best to see how children’s services respond first. If you are unhappy with their response or are concerned that it is unreasonable then you can consider making a complaint. Please see here for how to do this.

You can find out more about applying to end a care order here. You would have to demonstrate that you have made real changes since the order was made. Please see here useful links to legal advice and information.

I hope this has been helpful.

If you would like to discuss your situation with an adviser please call the freephone advice helping on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays) or post again on this forum if you prefer.

Best wishes

Suzie