Child protection Conference on the 8th advice please?

finaldj0

Child protection Conference on the 8th advice please?

Post by finaldj0 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 pm

We have a child protection conference on Monday the 8th April.

We've had a social worker since October for our 10 year old daughter. Have had some historical alligations from 21 years ago related to Sexual Abuse of a minor under 13 my ex's daughter, there was a finding in a medical exam but the Dr wasn't 100% sure and this is how it stood in court.

I was aquitted of the charges and free to go. They had an CPC without us as parents and this is when the police brought up my past and the SW wasn't aware of this. (I didn't feel I had to blurt it out to everyone after 21 year)

She said it was a bit of a curve ball and you haven't ever been risk assessed. She said I hadn't need worry too much about my past it was a long time ago. There was also a private family case where there was no finding of fact hearing as the judge decided not to proceed with a hearing due to my ex's mental health.

I got my life back together after this and met someone in 2006 and started working for the NHS in 2007 so both around 17 years now we are married and have a 10 year old. She's really struggling mentally at the moment hence the CPC but when they found out about my past this appears to be the main focus now. They decided to ask for a child protection medical and my daughter was really upset and didn't want to be seen and got a bit aggressive towards ourselves. The Dr decided to let her cool off and spoke with mum for 1 1/2 hours and decided after that seeing how she was that kids that act like this have been sexually abused. The SW can't over rule the Dr but said I can't see it being the case but hasn't put it anywhere on paper saying that.

I was asked to leave the home. The social worker said its only an opinion and not a fact and they want to do a SARC medical but the SW explained to the DR my daughter again would say NO.

It's been 3 weeks now and nothing has come through for this medical and the SW was like I don't know about it nothing has happened and I'm on leave now so it will be 4 nearly 5 weeks before we see her again.

My daughter spoke with the SW and had a right go at her saying "my dad hasn't touched me" "my dad hasn't touched me" I know who to report to for things like that. I want him back home you've ruined my family. The SW told me wife that's the evidence we needed.

However when I have asked about returning home for weeks now she's giving me mixed messages. You won't lose your family don't worry, worste case you'll have to leave but always have contact, you are worrying about the past too much. but then has indicated on the CPC for that I am a "my daughter is at risk from sexual abuse due to past aligations" but then says stuff further down the form that we work well together as a couple and family and we would stick to any "protection plans" put in place if I moved back.

She's said that her and her manager decide if I can go back home but then said wait and see what they say on the day about returning home.

None if it makes sense at all what she is saying she also sent the 20 page CPC form they've done an hour before leaving for leave for the week so she hasn't even gone through it with us and she returns from work the day of the meeting.

Nothing is in order still. I've been to be around in the home for as long as I want supervised as long as I don't sleep overnight until the meeting on the 8th.

Does this sound good or bad surley they can't ask me to leave if they think I am a danger if they've let me do this so far for the last 3 weeks?

My wife read "ALL" the transcripts of the court case and family ones before I moved in to make sure she was ok with it and she was. The SW has said after the case on the 8th she needs to speak with my wife alone about my historical case. Do I need to be prepared for some bullying here to end our relationship or is this to make sure she is aware of it all?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection Conference on the 8th advice please?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm

Dear finaldjo

Welcome to Family Rights Group parents’ discussion forum and thank you for post-ing.

I am sorry that you did not receive a response prior to the initial child protection con-ference. A decision would have been made by now whether your daughter is placed on a child protection plan.

You raised several issues in your post relating to historical sexual abuse allegations made by a former partner’s teenage daughter. There was a court case, and you were acquitted. This took place 21 years ago. You and your wife have a 10 year old daughter who has a lot of challenges including mental health difficulties.

In your post you mention that there was a CPC with you as parents being present. I do not think this would have been a child protection conference. It was more likely a strategy meeting which is usually attended by professionals only. The strategy meeting decides how a referral will be dealt with and it appears that due to disclo-sures about your history it was considered appropriate to carry out child protection enquiries under section 47 of the Children Act 1989. The recommendation was that there should be an initial child protection conference which you state was sched-uled for 8th April.

A child protection medical was arranged but your daughter did not cooperate and her behaviour during this time led the doctor to conclude that her behaviour was like that of a child who has experienced sexual abuse. This led to you being asked to leave the family home. You can visit the home but not able to stay overnight. Un-fortunately, this does not mean that there is no concern about risk which is why contact must be supervised.

It appears from your post that you are concerned about the content of the section 47 report prepared for the forthcoming conference. It is unfortunate that the social worker was not able to go through it with you prior to going on leave.

I am sorry that you feel you have been getting mixed messages from the social worker about what will happen going forward. Please read about child protection on our website.

It is unlikely that there would be things in place prior to the child protection confer-ence as a decision will be made then whether a child protection plan is made. Things are likely to be put in place regarding contact, or your return home and what kind of support will be put in place for your daughter to manage her mental health and behaviour.

Children’s services will want to be sure that your wife is able to be protective of your daughter so the social worker will explore with her what she understands about sexual abuse, whether she is fully aware of your history. She may be asked to do an application under Clare’s Law or Sarah’s law. Although you state she is aware of your history, the social worker will want to speak with her alone for her views. I understand your concerns, but the social worker’s role is not to bully your wife as you believe.

It may be decided that there should be a risk assessment of you before you are able to return home. I think you should understand that even though you were acquitted of the earlier allegations, children’s services are unlikely to say nothing happened as they look at it from a safeguarding point of view. Also, the criminal test is beyond reasonable doubt, but the civil test is on the balance of probability. It may be that your acquittal was on a technicality or insufficient evidence. This was a long time ago, so children’s services are likely to take that into account.

I hope you now have more clarity regarding the family’s situation now the child pro-tection conference has taken place. If there is a child protection plan, my advice is that you work with the plan in the same way you have been doing with children’s services and other professionals.

Should you wish to speak with an adviser, you can telephone or advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). You can also contact us by webchat or online enquiry form

I hope this is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie