Social services not following court order

AN1032

Social services not following court order

Post by AN1032 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

Hi,
My son has contact with his children ordered by the judge and over the next two months this is to be supervised in his family home with his partner and their daughter. The judge at the hearing has ordered social worker or early help worker supervise this. Today the early help worker has emailed him to say they will do the contact at their office only! They have not made any of the legal teams aware of this and won’t tell my son why. The judge directed them very clearly his expectations as they have shown a bias towards the mother the Judge has noted and it all just feel like no matter how hard he fights and how much money goes into seeking contact nobody follows court orders and nothing ever happens to professionals or the other party when they breach the orders.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social services not following court order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:28 pm

Dear AN1032,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that your son has contact with his children, which has been ordered by a judge. Over the next two months, this is to be supervised in the family home with his partner and their daughter. You say the judge ordered the social worker/early help worker to supervise this. Your son has been informed now that contact will only be supervised at the office. They have not informed your son why. You say that the judge has ordered children's services of his expectations and you feel frustrated that the professionals are not following this.

From your post, I am assuming there is a child arrangements order or an interim child arrangements order. Whilst the judge may have outlined their expectations of children's services and supervision of contact, unless this is in the order itself, this is not legally enforceable. Please note that there is a difference between the order itself, and what is sometimes known as the 'preamble' or 'recitals.' Sometimes a judge may order children's services to support contact under a 'family assistance order' but children's services would have to agree to this.

Nevertheless, it appears that there was some understanding at a previous hearing that an early help worker would supervise contact at the home. I would advise that your son ask his solicitor to write to the local authority, reminding them of this agreement, and asking them to outline why they are not facilitating this. This could also be raised at a future hearing.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.