I don't know what to do

A123

I don't know what to do

Post by A123 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:33 pm

Hi this might get a bit confusing
I have just found out that I am pregnant with baby number 5 complete accident and unexpected, my 4previous children are under full care orders with the LA with the youngest being adopted (2020) they were not all removed at birth only the youngest 2 and all for different reasons 3 different LA's. I have been having unsupervised and overnight contact with my son who's my second oldest he also has suspected autism or is somewhere on the spectrum the LA won't get an official diagnosis, I passed a placement with parents assessment last October with the view of him coming home permanently but that's all that has happened since then is that I have him most of the holidays (total 20+ days in the 6 weeks school holidays) and now back to weekends due to an incident towards the end of the holidays on a day out, my son is known to be violent and aggressive towards both myself and his carers in his residential home he's 10, the LA do not have a concrete plan of him coming home they told my solicitor a few weeks ago that it is something that they are considering.
my issue is now the new pregnancy I do not know what the LA will do as I cannot cope with another removal at birth and a fight in the family court my last court case was in 2019 when I tried to revoke a placement order I had permission off the judge proved my changes she was pleased but didn't discharge it (different LA to where I am now) during court last time I was doing my law degree which I have now graduated and this month started my masters, I don't have mental health issues which they tried to say I did last time all proven in a court-appointed psychological assessment, I'm not in a relationship and I've worked openly and honest with them to get where I am now with my son could I phone the LA or make an appointment to see what they would do? I'm so scared of removal everyone knows I have sustained changes ect even my solicitor was proud the other week.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: I don't know what to do

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:28 pm

Dear A123

Thank you for your further post. Congratulations on your pregnancy and am sorry that it is also a worrying time for you because of previous children's services involvement.

It appears that you have made significant changes in your life since you had previous children removed from your care. You say in your post that the judge was pleased with the changes you made but did not revoke the placement order. Did the judge explain why she did not consider it appropriate to revoke the placement order? Any concerns she had at the time will need to have significantly changed so children's services have little or no concerns about you now..

It has been sometime since you were last in court and if you have sustained changes as stated in your post, this is likely to be positive in respect of pre-birth assessment in your current local authority. You have not mentioned in your post the concerns the children’s services have regarding your ability to safely care for your children. It may be that now you have worked on whatever the issues were that the plan may not be to remove a new baby.

Children’s services, although you have had previous children removed from your care, should look at your current circumstances and assess you as you are now, but the history will also be considered.

Regarding your son being reunited to your care, children’s services are likely to look at his specific needs and whether these can be met if you have another child to care for. It appears they are considering the possibility of him being transitioned home as they have allowed a significant amount of contact. I suggest you discuss with your solicitor whether an application to discharge the care order would be appropriate if children’s services are not giving any firm indication about your son returning to your care.

You may find it useful to read the frequently asked questions on our website. Here are the links relating to previous involvement with children’s services and children's services duties when a child is in care under a court order for your information

I hope you find this helpful, but you may wish to speak with one of our experienced adviser on the free confidential advice line. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

Best wishes

Suzie