council housing changes in my area

4plus2

council housing changes in my area

Post by 4plus2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 am

hi, i was wondering if any other area council has announced that they are making big changes with regard to how they run their housing stock? i have four children who live with me and a stepson who lives with his mum, their ages are 20, 18, 16,12 and 9, i have been told my my landlord cbc that the new rules include one that states that if a council tennant has children over the age of 16 they have to make them leave home and accept a smaller house, they have also decided that they will not help anyone under the age of 25 with rent, ie, housing and council tax benefit, to me this seems to say i have to throw my girls out on the street, not allow my stepson to stay over, move to a smaller property and move againeach time one of my children reach 16! is it just me or does anyone else think that forcing people to throw their children out, to live heaven knows where, is totally wrong? i have always thought that my guys would move out when they were ready, after school and college, when they manage to get work and are able to support themselves. now am worried that, if i refuse to do this, the cbc will be able to take court action to evict us all, how can i do that and still expect my guys to do well? are these new rules even legal? i have hears about new laws being decided by parliment concerning childrens rights to shared care with both parents if possible yet my council has stated that where there are seperated parents they cannot share care if they are both housed by the cbc, there can only be one parent with residency and the other parent and the children suffer, how can this be right and legal? what it seems they are saying is that you cannot share care of your children unless you own your own home. this is driving me insane, im having problems sleeping, worrying that A- i will be forced to see my elder children on the street and unable to continue in education and hating me for making them leave, even if they understand that it isnt my choice i will still have to see them struggle, life is hard enough without doing this to them. or B- get evicted for not making them leave and having nowhere to go, also as my eldest son has adhd and my younger son is autistic the thought of going through any or all of this is making me ill.

thanks for reading this xx

blueplain

Re: council housing changes in my area

Post by blueplain » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am

Hi 4plus2

I am not in knowledge of the law but I would recommend that you should also contact shelter

http://england.shelter.org.uk/

Shelter are the leading charity in regards to your rights around housing. Ive called them before for issues I have had with homelessness and they were very helpful and informative.

I hope this helps

4plus2

Post by 4plus2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 am

thanks for your help, have contacted shelter and am awaiting an email from them.
surely i cant be the only local authority tenant worried about this?

ange301126

Post by ange301126 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 am

dear 4+2,sorry to hear about it,it sounds almost incredible to split your family in such a way.Surely there must be some sort of mistake! Although it does not concern Children's Services at this moment,it may be advantageous if they become involved.Are they in contact with you at all. Maybe Suzie could advise you of the Law.