Page 1 of 2

Social services

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 pm
by Kami2018
Ok first of all please don't judge
Just recently while me and my children were out my partner got in to a argument with neighbours on the street he was out for over 24 hours drinking as I don't let him drink at home well this argument soon turned violent and he's now on a affray charge and possession of a bladed article in public btw there was no hitting it was all threats , think I'm still in shock well these residents have reported this to social services and now I'm being investigated and I don't no why me or my children were not present and father is not wtf my house living at present due to his bail conditions may I add is nothing to do with children it's to stop him 're offending and interfering with witnesses my question is can social services stop him seeing his children because it's a violent crime may I had hesnhad a clean criminal records for 7bp years

Re: Social services

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 pm
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Kami2018,

Welcome to the Parents Forum.
I am sorry to hear about the violent incident and that children services are now involved with your family. They are carrying out an assessment to find out whether your partner could pose a risk to his children and if so, whether you can protect your children and whether you need help or support. Here is information about assessments.

As part of the assessment the social worker should ask for your consent to speak to the school, nursery, health service and police about your family. Although the assessment can feel very intrusive it is better to ask the social worker questions about the assessment if there is something you are not sure about.
At the end of the assessment you should get a written copy. There will be a conclusion setting out whether or not support may be offered to you (child in need or early help-with your consent). If at any point children services suspected your children were at risk of harm, then the assessment would become a child protection investigation and a child protection conference may be called.
Here are FAQs about child protection.

The bail conditions are protective but you will also be asked by the social worker to call the police or children services if your partner was to come to the family home. So they will want to test your ability to protect and work with professionals.

Children services are likely to be strict because until they know your partners risk –if any-they have to assume the worst about him.
It sounds like you are aware of how he reacts when he drinks and that he would benefit from an assessment of his drinking and support to help him manage it.
There should also be an assessment of his violent behaviour and the fact that he carries a blade. The result of this assessment will most likely be shared with children services. There should be s
If you think there has been domestic violence in your relationship (you do not say this) then you should also consider getting in touch with a domestic violence organisation who can advise you about support for you and your children such as an advocate and the freedom programme.

I hope this advice helps. If you need further advice please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Re: Social services

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 pm
by Kami2018
Thank u Suzie for us reply no there's been no domestic violence in are relationship and this incident is very shocking social services have did there assessment with me to safe guard and they told me I'm very capable of looking after my children there concern is obviously my partners violent behaviour in this incident but they says that he has to abide to go to a drink programme and bereavement course because he lost his father's in 2014 very suddenly and they think he needs to deal with this and also to seek anger management which i totally understand and obviously my children's safety is absolutely paramount to me and they will always come first social worker says before my partner can consider coming home they have to do this risk assessment and she would also like us to move because she believes strongly that the people around us are no good for us and that associates can often play a massive part in people's behaviour

Re: Social services

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:34 pm
by Muminneedofadvice
Hi kami

My situation is very similar to yourself.

If you don't mind me asking, what stage are you at with social? Did your partner return back to you and the children?

Re: Social services

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:13 am
by Kami2018
Hiya yes should have updated this ages ago , yes in August he returned home and just there last mth social services closed there case with us, I hope everything works out for you hun

Re: Social services

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:21 am
by Miserylovescompany2
Hi Kami,

I am pleased your outcome was positive. Can I ask if you followed the advice and moved from that area? Also did your partner complete both of the courses that children's services stated he should. Was your partner charged and found guilty of affray?

Were your children ever considered a CIN because of this? I ask because of your time frame.

Thanks in advance.


Re: Social services

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 pm
by Kami2018
He was found guilty , he got 18 mths suspended sentence to be supervised by probation, he also got told he had to do a course called resolve and 150 hours community order , yes we asked to move area not because of us exactly it was because they were scared my partner would 're offend we worked very hard with children services there really was no concern about are parenting at all in fact they told us both we were fantastic parents it was just a safe guarding issue because of my partners crimes but after few mths on child in need they closed the case even with out us moving house yet because my partner has did everytjing asked of him by probation and them at the time, hope this helps , can I ask what four situation is so I can advise u properly hun

Re: Social services

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 pm
by Kami2018
Yes they were put on child in need for the reason being my partners crimes and we still lived in a vurable area but as the family that this happened with got a closing order put on them and were evicted we are still in same house at present hope this helps

Re: Social services

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:33 am
by Miserylovescompany2
Hi Kami,

Thank you for your response to my questions. I asked these questions for the previous poster on your thread. Their situation has some of the same concerns your own case did.

My own situation/concerns are currently ongoing. To give you a little context my 3 children were added to a CPP in the latter part of 2016 under the category of physical harm. Two of my children have complex needs (autism and Aspergers). They were having physical fights - I had to phone the police countless times. There was also violence directed at me from both boys. My daughter at the beginning of CPP was 18 months old. I was the one actually begging for help. My daughter was never physically harmed nor did she see any violence. She was in the household and would of heard. This would of had a negative impact.

Our situation got worse during the CPP nothing was put in place to actually give the boys time apart. At one point (years ago) both boys were assessed to need 26 nights respite per year - this was revoked because I could not afford the taxi fares which would of cost £2000 per year. My eldest has voids in his education adding up to 5 years because no appropriate school was provided.

Fast forward to last year - we were in crisis. The CPP had not done anything to improve our situation. After a very high level incident (younger son attacking me and his older brother) culminating in 5 police responding and ambulance then a subsequent trip to hospital. I was told my son needed a MH assessment the next day. The assessment never happened. CS did nothing. I took my son to the police station. My intention was to have him spoken to - it didn't go down that way. The police used their 72hrs to ensure my family was safe.

CS intitiated court proceedings and my son never returned home. The category my son was placed under was beyond parental control.

I have serious concerns about my sons care of lack there of in the care system. I have detailed these on my tread titled 'Despair.'

The whole thing is a mess :/

Re: Social services

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 am
by Kami2018
Wow u have been through a rough time hun not easy to advise on it seems that children's services aren't doing there job and lowering a risk in the cpp as seems by what your saying they have put nothing in place to help your situation or your son if believed to have mh they should have got a assessment with him asap when suggested this , have u spoke to ur social workers manger you must be at your wits end xx