Social services phone tapping

TaidCric

Social services phone tapping

Post by TaidCric » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am

Can the social tap mobile phones & listen in on private phonecalls? My partner & daughter are convinced that their calls are being listened in on,after a matter that was discussed only between them both was brought up by a social services team leader, who is on a mission to drive my partner, her children and grandchildren apart.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social services phone tapping

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Dear Taidcric,

Welcome to the Parent’s Discussion Board.

It sound like children services may be worried about your partner’s children or grandchildren, is that right?

If a social worker is worried about a child, by law, they have to find out as much as they can about a child’s situation. However, they do not have the legal power to tap phones. They could check the open part of social media accounts, such as Facebook. But again need to consider people’s right to respect and privacy, so should normally seek your permission first of all.

Here are some tips to help parents and social workers work together.

If you have any questions, please post back or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,
Suzie

LLPT25

Post by LLPT25 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:18 pm

Yes is the answer

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:16 pm

Dear LLPT25

Thank you for your post responding to a parent’s query from some time ago.

I just wanted to provide some clarity for parents who are wondering about children’s services’ powers in terms of surveillance activities including phone tapping. It is not accurate and may unnecessarily worry families who are working with children’s services to imply that they tap phones.

Some parents may be worried that their social worker may look at their social media. Please see this FAQ which addresses this query.

It is important that parents find a way of working with children’s services to support their children or address any concerns. We have updated our guide to working with social workers to give some practical advice around this.

Parents with any queries about the investigatory powers of public authorities may find it helpful to look at the Investigatory Powers Commissioner’s office which also has helpful FAQs including where a person has questions about these issues.

Best wishes

Suzie

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:37 pm

TaidCric wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 am Can the social tap mobile phones & listen in on private phonecalls? My partner & daughter are convinced that their calls are being listened in on,after a matter that was discussed only between them both was brought up by a social services team leader, who is on a mission to drive my partner, her children and grandchildren apart.
I am convinced that someone connected with Children's Services, overheard a conversation I was having with a friend on the phone on public transport about wanting my children home. They only overheard one side of the conversation, but I am sure they went to Children's Services to inform them I wanted to overturn the section 20 agreement. It is because of this persons stupidity, that Children's Services reacted and were scurrying around without any explanation desperately trying to take me to court for an ICO, which backfired on them. CS could not provide a factual valid reason for taking me to court, as there was no evidence to support these claims.

benion

Post by benion » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:45 am

LLPT25 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:18 pm Yes is the answer
Wow. Just. Wow.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:39 pm

Dear Benion

Thank you for your post.

I just wanted to reiterate my earlier advice in relation to posts stating that children’s services’ tap phones and to correct misleading information in parents’ replies as this may cause other parents unnecessary worry when they may already be anxious about having a social worker involved with their family. It could also prevent parents from working with social workers to clarify or address concerns; this would not be in their or their children’s best interests.

So, to clarify:

• Children’s services do not have the legal power to tap phones.
• There are strict regulations and legislation governing the use of investigatory powers by public bodies and the most intrusive powers can only be lawfully used by a few organisations.

It is important that parents understand how children’s services work and that they are able to find a way of working together where children and families need support of where there are concerns that children may be or have been harmed. They are required to work with other agencies to protect children and information can be shared to do so; this is set out in government guidance Working Together to Safeguard Children (2018). Information sharing does not include the legal power to tap phones.

I hope this helps clarify matters. I have included other useful links in my earlier responses which parents may want to look at.

Best wishes

Suzie