26 weeks care proceedings timescale

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: 26 weeks care proceedings timescale

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Dear Mother in need

Welcome to the parents’ forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Right Group. I can see from your post that you are feeling very worried and distressed by the ongoing situation relating to your children and the involvement of children’s services.

You mention that September will be more than 26 weeks and there is an Issues Resolution Hearing (IRH). Unfortunately, you have not given any information about the concerns that led the judge in the private law proceedings to consider that an interim care order was necessary. The purpose of the IRH is for the parties to discuss the issues that can be agreed and those that cannot and have to be dealt with at the final hearing. Please see our advice sheet relating to Care (and related) proceedings. I hope you will find this helpful in understanding the court process.

It seems that there have been difficulties between you and the father of your children which led to the private law proceedings. Where there is an acrimonious relationship between parents, this can be seen to be emotionally abusive to the children. If this was the case, then the court would take the view that children’s services should become involved by carrying out a section 37 assessment in order to decide if care proceedings are necessary. You mention that the judge reached his or her decision after seeing your email, this suggests that the content of the email was of concern to the judge, although as I have no idea what was in the email am unable to comment further on this point.

The children are, from what you say in your post, subject to interim care orders and in the care of their father, and you do not think that he is the best person to care for them because of his criminal history.

As you are in care proceedings, you are entitled to have a solicitor and it is important that you make sure that your legal team is aware of the concerns you have about your children’s father and your mother-in-law who you say has been the source of the difficulties for you; and why you think you are the best person to care for them. From what you say, there is an outstanding assessment to be carried out and if there is to be a hearing in September, the likelihood is that the court has given a timescale in which all assessments should be done.

Has any reason been given as to why you are unable to have contact with your daughter, contact is usually considered to be for the benefit of the child unless there are reasons why contact is not in their best interests. Discuss this lack of contact with your solicitor and, if necessary, an application can be made for contact. I am including our advice sheet Contact with children in care for your information.

Is there anything that you have been asked to do by children’s services in order to address the concerns they have regarding your ability to safely look after your children? It is important to try and work cooperatively with children’s services.

You are right in saying that the court can extend the 26 week period in which care cases should be concluded and this will be where there are exceptional circumstances, for example, when the court needs evidence to be able to reach a decision. Please discuss your case with your solicitor and work with him or her so that your best case can be put forward to the court at the final hearing. If your solicitor is of the view that the case should be extended then the appropriate application can be made to the court to ask for this.

Should you wish to post again with more information please do so or you may wish to speak to an adviser on our free confidential advice line. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Mother in need

Post by Mother in need » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:13 am

Thank you for your reply. .

The proceedings will no doubt go into next year which will be the double of the 26 week time scale. The problem now in my case is that trying to prove my innocence and prove I am mad is sending me mad.
Contact wont take place between my daughter ad I unless she wants to. Its now 9 months.
The parenting assessment has not reflected me well. My emotional health has been an issue. The psychologist said i appeared delusional however everything i am saying is true and reality.
Regardless of my issues the social workers we are now on 5&6 sw in six months. No assessment has ever been discussed. Ive never had my support networks approached only theirs. I dont have family. There is no evidence of parental alienation however no one competent to make that statement. Additionally the information recorded is factually in correct. If the judge is to make a decision how can he if the sw assessments are poor biased and based on assumption

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 am

Dear Mother in need

Thank you for your further post.

From your post you are concerned about the parenting assessment that has been done which does not reflect you well as well as what the psychologist has said about you. As stated in my previous post you should ensure that your legal representatives have your full instructions regarding your concerns.

You need to remember that it will be at the final hearing that all the evidence will be considered. The person who did the parenting assessed can be cross examined by your legal representative on the report and the things that you say are incorrect your solicitor will be able to advise you more about this. Also, the psychologist can be called to give evidence if his or her report is not accepted and your legal representative ask that the psychologist attend court to be questioned.

The judge will make a decision based on the written evidence and what he or she hears from witnesses at the final hearing. It is possible that where the social worker or anyone else is challenged by cross examination that the judge can reach a decision on what he or she believes to be the correct version of events. It will be for the judge to make the decision once the evidence has been looked at and ‘tested’ that is through cross examination.

If there are things that you need to do or have been asked to do you should still do your best to achieve these and show that you are willing to change things. It is also important that you understand that the judge’s decision will be made on the basis of the child’s welfare as this is the first consideration for the court when making a decision about a child in care proceedings. Do read the advice sheet regarding care proceedings sent in the previous post.

You may also find it helpful to read our advice sheets Duties on Children’s Services when children are in the care system and Contact with children in care.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, do telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Whale468

Post by Whale468 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Ilovemygrandkids wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:22 pm well in our case if you ask me its far too long :(
Mine too

€thisy

Post by €thisy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Isn't the 26 weeks a guideline.
After newborn is removed a duty if care to facilitate contact.
If parent doesn't attend contact and does damage to self then maybe it'll be over in 26 weeks.
Sometimes if parents have previous issues, domestic violence, drink or drug problems, mental health or housing then outside agencies would step in to help.
If the child protection meetings are being conducted in a way that aims to support the family staying together then outside agencies will already be involved which would prevent any removal.
Sometimes the parent may refuse the support or relapse during proceedings this would cause the timescale to vary.
The type of court representation would also allow variation of the 26 week guideline. If the solicitor requests assesments and parent is attending contacte sessions and showing want to change and understanding of the situation then the 26 weeks will vary depending on the judge.
Its all about the holistic situation.
The support from family, professional and local authority persons and the parents understanding.