getting my 8 week old back

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 pm

getting my 8 week old back

Post by DCY119 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm

I had a little girl on 8th September weighting 5.5 1\2. Myself and my partner were over the moon until on the 9th October I noticed a bruise on K***'s shin after loosing my father 18 months ago to cancer which was misdiagnosed several times I took her to the local gp

The gp sent us to the ***** k*** underwent bloods xrays an ct scan also to the eye clinic to check for signs of shaken. ***** told us all tests were clear and had sent xray to alder hey. Thursday night a doctor came to turn my world upside down katie had 5 corner fractures around her knees.

Friday social services asked me to sign a section 20 I refused they took me to court and took k*** into care words fail me as a mum I asked for help no one has looked into these fractures just assumed child abuse. My baby is breast fed and has now been gone 4weeks I'm continuing to express every two hours no one is pushing for answers and every day she's away fro! Me I'm pining today they have found a rib fracture dating in the last week

(*Edited by Suzie to ensure confidentiality as required by the Rules of Use)

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: getting my 8 week old back

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Dear DCY119

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am so sorry that you find yourself in this distressing situation following your baby daughter being found with fractures to her knees.

Your daughter is now subject to an interim care order as you were not willing to agree to s20 accommodation. Children’s services (the new name of social services), had no alternative but to apply to the court for an order, as they cannot legally remove a child without the parent’s consent or a court order.

As your daughter suffered fractures, children’s services would be concerned for her safety. It appears that neither you nor your partner are able to provide an explanation for the bruising or if you did it was not accepted as having caused the injury to your daughter.

It is understandable that you want the doctors to look into how your daughter could have sustained the injuries and I think your solicitor will be able to advise you about what further examinations can be done and whether there is a particular expert who could look at the x-rays to see if they have a different opinion. I think the court will want to be sure about whether your daughter has an underlying condition or if it is in fact non-accidental injury.

During the course of the care case in the court it will be possible for your solicitor to ask for another opinion and it will be for the judge to decide upon this.

If you daughter was in the care of anyone other than you and your partner then they would in in what is called the ‘pool of perpetrators’ and there may be a separate fact finding hearing for the court to consider who may have caused the injury or if no one can be specifically identified. Please read our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings.
Children’s services will carry out parenting assessment of you and your partner either separately or together to reach a decision about who can care for the baby in the future. You might want to consider asking family members or friends who would be willing to look after your baby long term if you or the father are not able to do so.

I suggest you ask your solicitor to explain how the case will progress and what can be done to support your case.

You may wish to speak to an adviser about your case and, if so, please telephone our free and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes


Post Reply