Has anyone had an independent Social Worker to carry out an assessment on them

Aa385

Has anyone had an independent Social Worker to carry out an assessment on them

Post by Aa385 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:15 am

Please I was just wondering if anyone has had an independent assessment separate from the one the local Authority has allocated to you you.

I would be undergoing a parenting assessment soon and I was wanting to pay for an independent social work assessment to be sure about my reports when they come out.

Please I’d like someone to explain to me the benefits of an independent social work assessment, how much it costs and where I can get one done in Glasgow.

I’m really scared about my parenting assessment.

MNS123

Re: Has anyone had an independent Social Worker to carry out an assessment on them

Post by MNS123 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:40 am

Hi,

I have had an independent social worker report done and found her so much easier to work with than LA social worker, she was more of a real person that seen we can all make mistakes in life and learn from them and that the children are loved and well cared for.
P.S I am a single dad to my boys and they have 2 different mothers

Aa385

Re: Has anyone had an independent Social Worker to carry out an assessment on them

Post by Aa385 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:50 pm

How can I get one please and do you know how much they cost ???? How do I know independent and my social work. My social workers are not the one doing the assessment but a social worker from another company or office, well I don’t know but what I do know is that my social worker isn’t the one doing the assessment. So would I call the ones doing my assessment independent ? I really don’t know the difference.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am

Dear Aa385

Thank you for your further post.

Having checked your posts I see that I mentioned that if you are not in England or Wales the advice given here might be different to the jurisdiction where you are located. I say this because you mentioned a ‘compulsory supervision order’ in an earlier post. This is not an order that is made in England and Wales.

Please look again at my response of 19th October to your earlier post for organisations that can provide advice in Scotland since you are asking for information relating to Glasgow.

Regarding your question about an independent assessment, this is usually carried by a social worker who is not directly linked to your case. This can be a self-employed independent social worker or a social worker from a different local authority. It is usually the allocated social worker who would carry out a parenting assessment unless someone else is asked to do this.

In some cases the court can allow a further assessment to be carried out by an independent social worker if the parenting assessment carried by the social worker is challenged in court and a request made for a further independent assessment to be carried out.

If you are currently in care proceedings you cannot, without the agreement of the court instruct an independent social worker.

Unfortunately, as previously advised I am not able to give detailed advice as you are not within the jurisdiction for which we offer advice.

Best wishes

Suzie