Family court

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:09 am

Family court

Post by K***y » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 am

I am a man not a woman as my name suggests; Anyone any advice on interim care orders
My ex who has 3 kids one may be mine have been placed in foster care n I have been ordered a dna test will she get her kids back ? And what are the chances of me gettin my son instead of him getting adopted he’s 1 year old she has neglected the kids n abused drugs n alsorts very confused with the whole process.

Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Re: Family court

Post by M*y-m*y » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am

Hi have you got a Solictor, that can help you, i would advise you not to take note of every thing that LA say because they lye to you and to the kids, for my advice if you have god no bad record try ur hardest to get them bk write down everything that social says to you try not to get harsh with them I know it’s easier said than done as I’m going through nearly the same as mine are older than yours, I’m trying everything to get my kids back, but LA are now putting the blame on me and lying to my children and they are now blaming me and turning against me so please so this don’t happen to you get the best Solictor and fight as hard as you can try not to ring social on anything that you can do your self because they will say your not copping, try and also get some body to support you on where you can trust someone to talk on your behalf to a Solictor if your unable to do so I wish you all the best luck and try and save you son

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Family court

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Dear K***y

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear your ex-partner’s children have been placed in foster care, probably under an interim care order.

You may be the father of one of the children, a one year old boy. This can be confirmed or not by you having a DNA test if you agree to this. You probably don’t have parental responsibility for the child but this should not prevent you being involved and assessed if you are his father. Please see care proceedings for fathers who don’t have parental responsibility for more information about this.

I agree with M*y-m*y ‘s strong recommendation that you seek specialist legal advice. It is best to find a solicitor who is experienced in this type of case and who is a member of the Children Law Accreditation Scheme. The Law Society has a find a solicitor tool.

The court’s timescale in care proceedings (to decide who the children will live with permanently) is approximately 26 weeks. I don’t know what stage the case is at but it is positive that you are involved now and finding out more about the process and what you can do.

The court needs to consider if the children, including the little boy, can be safely cared for by their mother or father(s), by other family members or if they need to be cared for permanently outside of the family. Adoption will certainly be considered for a baby and the court could make a placement order which would give children’s services the right to place a child for adoption even if his parents disagree.

It is a good idea to involve your family and friends network as soon as possible too to see how they could support you to care for your child or how they could be assessed to care for him if need be. A family group conference (FGC) may be offered to bring together family members to help make safe plans for the children.

M*y-m*y encourages you to do things independently, However, it will also be necessary to work with children’s services as the social worker is the key worker for the child and will be involved in discussing any potential plans and arrangements for the child with you as well as being involved in any assessment of you or any family members you put forward.

We have lots of resources which should help you understand more about the court process and the type of court orders that can be made. You might find the FAQs for Fathers and and FAQs for young fathers on care proceedings sections of the website helpful. Also our advice sheets on care proceedings, contact with children in care, powers and duties of local authorities and adoption.

I can’t say whether your ex-partner will have the children returned to her care, this will be decided by the court. You mention concerns about mother’s drugs misuse and neglect. The court may want her to have drug testing/rehab, parenting and psychological assessments. The court must also consider all the options for the children’s long term care – including all family options and an assessment of you if your paternity of the little boy is established. Permanent separation of a child from their parent should only be "where nothing else will do" so both parents should be properly assessed and proper consideration given to support needed to allow them to care for their child.

You might want to discuss the situation further with an adviser and can do so by ringing the freephone helpline 0808 8010366 Mon-Fri 9.30 – 3.00 or by posting back with specific queries.

I hope this helps

Best wishes


Post Reply