Page 1 of 1

Social services

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:27 am
by Jay240890
Last week my partner assaulted me and gave me a black eye, I rang a refuge as this was the first time it had happened and I didn't know what to do. They rang social services and careline rang me a few hours after the incident once I had spoken with careline they told me a social worker would call me the next day. Nearly a week has past but I haven't heard anything from social services I do however know that they rang my middle sons nursery to get a picture of what the family was like (if they boys were clean, appropriately dressed etc.) I was just wondering when you think I will hear from social services or whether in fact I will

Re: Social services

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:33 am
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Jay240890,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query.

Are you still living at the family home?

If you are, I am very surprised that the social worker has not been in touch to offer the urgent support and protection that is available to protect you and your boys.

I suggest you, urgently, either:

• Get back in touch with the refuge or call the 24 hour domestic violence helpline on 0808 2000 247 for support. They can let you know about resources in your area. Given the poor response from children services, a domestic violence advocate may be able to help you deal with the social worker and make sure that you can access the services that might be available in your area.

Or contact children services yourself or the police as soon as you can.

Here is our leaflet about domestic violence and children’s services . It has top tips and explains what services are available and what to expect from children services.

And here are some FAQ’s about domestic violence

Consent and speaking to other professionals about your children

The social worker should have contacted you first, to seek your consent, before she spoke to the nursery. (If you had refused to give consent, then she may have contacted them anyway, if she thought your children were in danger).
You could ask her why she did not follow protocol.

Please post again ,if you need further advice or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,


Re: Social services

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:38 am
by Jay240890
Thank you for your reply Suzie, a social worker called yesterday had a chat and asked I signed a document to say I would not let the children witness domestic violence again which I signed she then told me she would close the case
Thank you

Re: Social services

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 pm
by Suzie, FRG Adviser
Dear Jay,

I am sorry and surprised about the response from children services.

Domestic violence is very complicated and research says that victims or survivors and their family will need support to help them be protected from further incidents and to recover from the abuse suffered.

Why can’t you have this?

Do you understand how to protect yourself and your children should your partner be violent again or want contact with your children, for example?

What happens if your partner is abusive to you again in front of the children? Will you be to blame?

Please read through the information I gave about services that might available to ensure you are getting what you need.

Best wishes,