domestic violence and social service

applebottomshan

domestic violence and social service

Post by applebottomshan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:50 am

I need advise regarding domestic violence towards my sister from her husband. She is on a child in need plan, however social services is telling her they can't help because she has no recourse to public funds. Police has been called on many occasions, but they are telling her to ask her husband to leave the house, which she can't do, because she is destitute, social services is refusing to assist. Can she make a complaint to social services?

ange301126

Re: domestic violence and social service

Post by ange301126 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Dear applesbottomshan,

I suggest she gets away from him immediately taking any children with her even if she is destitute.If Children's Services won't help and get shelter or refuge for her, she should seek immediate support from another organisation such as the council housing people, shelter , CAB etc.
The longer she stays in the dangerous situation she is in, the more likely the CS are to interfere and take the child or children away on the grounds that mum can't protect them.

Hasn't she any family she can move in with?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Dear applebottamshan,

I am sorry to hear about the domestic violence that your sister is suffering and that the police and children services are not providing assistance because she has no recourse to public funds. The advice they are giving is incorrect. However, the rules are complicated and differ depending on how long your sister has been in the UK and her immigration status.

Here is some information from Women’s aid about support that might be available. She chould contact the 24 hour women’s aid helpline on 0808 2000 247for support as well.

Best wishes,
Suzie

applebottomshan

Post by applebottomshan » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Thank for replying..

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Dear Applebottomshan

Your sister may also wish to contact to other organisations who offer support to families in similar circumstances depending, for instance it is worth her making contact with Rights of Women who have expertise of supporting families through similar difficulties. They may be able to advise your sister her further at this time.

I hope this helps.

Suzie