Child protection plan

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:56 pm

Child protection plan

Post by Pickle123 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:09 am

My children have been put on the child protection plan, understand the social services reasons for it and I’m happy to comply with everything they’ve asked.
I’ve been a victim of domestic violence. Over the course of 5 weeks there were three occurrences. First time no involvement from the police (I was in too much shock) second time police were called but I did not press charges. However third time I called the police. I gave statements and all sorts. Partner in custody for a few days then bail conditions put in place
With the second time of dv and police being involved then social worker involved too. We were under child in need and with third incident because I said I want nothing to do with my partner. Social worker sort of disappeared.
My issue is this - the moment I said I want to retract my statement and drop charges, SW became involved again.
Escalated to a conference where the all said to go under child protection plan under emotional abuse to the children.
I’ve had safeguarding involved and up until this point I said I would think if I want to retract. My reason for retracting was If my partner can’t admit what he did was wrong I saw no point in pursuing this, but also the idea of court has had been up all night for the last month. Now after the conference, I felt awful, the whole experience was traumatic. I have to say this really pushed me into retracting my statement.
Now the conference put in place all actions needed.
A few days after the conference, I went to police station and handed my retraction statement in.

I didn’t hear for a while but now I’ve had safeguarding telling me she notified SW and they said by me retracting I’m showing I’m not safeguarding the children and they would apply to the courts for joint custody. Can they do this ?

I spoke to social worker after this, and they said there is so much to happen before this escalated to court. Now who do I believe? The police or SW?

Can anyone please help? If it came to the authority taking joint custody then I won’t retract my statement but I have genuine reasons for retracting - not reconciliation! But my children are my priority. So can any one please advise? Would retracting my statement lead the social to apply for joint custody ?

Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Re: Child protection plan

Post by Jells12 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:23 am

Hi Pickle123,

I suggest you stick to your original statement and also it's very very important you follow the CP plan put in place.

Play safe.. they do have a duty of care to abide by and you retracting your statement shows little thought about what it may mean for children's safety.

Of course, its obvious you love your kids and want to protect them.. but it has to look like that from all angels.

Wishing you all the best x

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2660
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Child protection plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:24 pm

Dear Pickle123,

Welcome to the Parents Forum. I am sorry to hear that you suffered domestic violence at the hands of your ex-partner. Children’s services became involved and now there is a child protection plan.

Jells has given you good advice about treading carefully, putting your children’s needs first and the importance of sticking to the child protection plan.

You have a number of questions which I will deal with here.

Your first question is about retracting your statement.

Do you have an independent domestic violence advocate (IDVA)? Or can you speak to your local domestic violence support service about what it might mean to retract your statement? They are specialists in domestic violence so can give you advice about this in your case.

Children services might be worried that you are changing your mind about your partner and want to be in a relationship with him again. It is common –due to the dynamics of domestic violence that a survivor might minimise what had happened and believe that the violent partner has changed and will not be violent again. But without him getting support, this is unlikely to be the case. If you were changing your mind, then your children would be a heightened risk from your partner.

Have you explained your reasons for changing your mind and have you asked the social worker why she might be worried? If you do not have an IDVA, you could ask for one to support you.
Here are some FAQ’s for mothers about domestic violence and children services.

Your second question is about whether children services will take legal action to share custody (parental responsibility) with you.

The social worker’s role is to protect children. Sometimes, this includes going to court to ask for an order giving children services parental responsibility.
However, the social worker has re-assured you you that this is not happening at this stage.
Usually, there would have to be a pre- proceedings stage first-where you have a solicitor supporting you-before court proceedings.

If children services wanted to remove your children, then they would need either your agreement or would have to go to court and prove that your children were suffering significant harm or likely to suffer significant harm and that you were not able or unwilling to protect them from this harm. You would be entitled to a solicitor. Children services would also have to show the court they had offered you support.
Only if your children were in imminent danger could they be removed immediately by an urgent court order or exceptionally by the police for up to 72 hours.

I think the most important things for you to do are:
1) To cooperate with the child protection plan. It is there to keep your children protected and safe while they are at home with you.
2) Speak to the local domestic violence support services or women’s aid to make sure you are getting all the support you need.
3) If your ex- partner comes to your home or gets in touch with you –even by text-let the social worker know so that she can advise you what to do. Sometimes, people do not let the social worker know and then she finds out and will think that a mother is deliberately hiding the fact from children services.

Here is information about child protection plans.

Here is our advice sheet about care proceedings.

I hope this advice helps. If you have any questions please post again or call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Post Reply