advice please!!

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:14 pm

advice please!!

Post by princess10 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 am

Hello there... i have social services involved with my family. The incident happened between me and partner about a month and half ago and we are meant to have a family assessment but still no sign of anyone coming? They definitely are meant to because i ring once a week to check progress and all i get is someone will call back and they never do! since the incident my partner no longer lives at the home and has no key but i give supervised access to come see his daughter most nights. He does stay on a weekend when we have his other son come to stay from another relationship. Hes a great dad but my kids come first i just want to know what im likely to expect as an outcome the incident involved mild physical abuse verbal and emotional abuse which daughter did not witness. He has a very colourful police record and alot of involvement from ss from previous relationship for dv. Also a member of family got drunk and come to the house to start on my partner swearing and shouting outside which scared the kids my partner phoned police straight away and made a statement he is now not allowed near the home. Do you think they will let us carry on the way we are or will they give me an ultimatum or even worse would they take my baby?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2371
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: advice please!!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Dear Princess10

Welcome to the Board and thank you for the post.

From what you say in your post there have been some domestic violence incidences happening in and around your home, including the wider family being abusive to you. Domestic abuse in all of its guises will concern social workers and will likely result in an assessment, I am not sure why they have not yet visited you, especially as there has been police involvement. You ask, when Children’s Services become involved, whether they will ‘let you carry on the way you are’, my response is that it is unlikely that they will.

Because your partner is known historically as a perpetrator of domestic abuse in his intimate relationships, this will probably lead the a social worker to ask your partner to stay away from the family home and not stay most evenings and weekends, until the assessments are complete – you may be required to ‘sign an agreement’ which reflects your commitment to safeguarding your child from the impact of domestic abuse.

May I suggest, if you have not done so already, that you contact Women’s Aid as soon as possible and that you have a look at our website where we have frequently asked questions FAQs about domestic violence. Our advice sheet about Family support will give you more information about assessments and Working Together… will give you information about how social workers work with families upon receiving referrals and becoming involved. We also have an advice sheet about Child protection procedures.

If you would like to speak with us about your situation, do call our advice service, it is free to most mobiles and all landlines and you can speak to us in confidence. The line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3.00pm on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes


Post Reply