Bullied and blackmailed by social services.

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Bullied and blackmailed by social services.

Post by Misswaste19 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Last edited by Misswaste19 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2251
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Bullied and blackmailed by social services.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Dear Misswaste19

Welcome to the parent’ discussion forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I see that you are feeling angry and frustrated about your current situation and children’s services (the new name for social services) involvement with your family.

It is unclear from your post if you had previous involvement with children’s services. You mention that you informed the social worker that there had been no violence since November last year. Had there been a case which was closed or was there ongoing involvement as a result of previous domestic violence in your home?

You say that your daughter spoke at school about your poorly eye which was in fact conjunctivitis. It is very surprising that the school and the social worker did not recognise conjunctivitis and put this down to being as a result of domestic violence. I suppose a visit to your doctor could have confirmed it.

I am most concerned about the language you state that the social worker used namely that she threatened to remove your daughter if you stayed with your partner; spoke to him or did not leave the home immediately. This seems like a very drastic reaction to the information in your post. A lot depends on the concerns that children’s services have about the relationship and safeguarding your daughter. It would not be good practice for a social worker to treat a parent in this way especially as a social worker should be working with a family to ensure that a child can be brought up in a safe environment. The social worker should be supporting you and ensuring that you are safe if it is believed that you are in a domestically abusive relationship. It may be that the social worker was concerned for your safety if she felt it necessary to suggest that you move to our mother’s home with your daughter.

There are procedures that a social worker has to follow if it is considered necessary that a child should be removed from his or her family. This is could include a parent leaving an unsafe environment or the child going, for example, to a family member whilst enquiries are carried out. This could be with the parent’s agreement. In situations where a child is considered to be at immediate risk for the police to remove under police protection for up to 72 hours.

I have included our advice sheet An introductory guide to Children’s Services which explains the procedures that children’s services should follow when they receive a referral.

The comment that the social worker is ‘gunning for your daughter to be on child protection’ does not sound a very professional way to work with you. You may want to have a meeting with the social worker’s team manager to discuss the concerns that you have about the way your case is being managed by the social worker.

If the social worker is working with a family it is not unusual for information to be shared with the school or nursery as part of safeguarding but a social worker should not disclose personal information without your permission. You could make a formal complaint about this if the information disclosed did not relate to safeguarding concerns about your child. Our advice sheet relating to Challenging decisions and making complaints .

You are now staying at your mother’s home with your daughter, does this mean that the flat you refer to is your partner’s? If not, is there any reason why it is thought you cannot return to your home?

A social worker is allowed to speak to a child alone when carrying out enquiries. Has the social worker informed you what assessment of enquiries she intends to carry out regarding you and your daughter? It could be either a child in need assessment Family supportand this advice sheet gives more information about the support that can be offered or child protection enquiries which is explained in this advice sheet Child protection procedures

You may also find it helpful to read information from our website regarding domestic violence and working with children’s services

I suggest that you try to work with children’s services and engage with any support or services that you are offered. Children’s services want to be convinced that you fully appreciate the concerns they have and that you are able to protect your daughter and put her needs first.

Should you wish to speak with an adviser, do telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply