MARAC advice

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 am

MARAC advice

Post by V**A » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Can anyone help me on this. It's quite tricky to answer. I went to women's aid in Jan this year. I didn't score high enough but got referred to MARAC anyway. I since left the country with the person I was complaining of. If we move back to the UK is his referral reactivated and how? Apparently it's sitting dormant according to women's aid and they can't tell me what would happen. Bit annoyed as I never consented to a MARAC was not told the questionnare was for this and didn't even score high enough. Just want it all behind us as we are getting along fine and don't want social workers in our lives etc.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2250
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: MARAC advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Dear V**A

Welcome to the Parents Forum and thank you for posting.

There can be different ways that a parent and child may be referred to MARAC-not just scoring a high risk level, after completion of the risk assessment. For example, if your partner is a repeat offender or if professionals have assessed that the risks to you are increasing, this may result in a referral.

You could check your local authority website or local safeguarding board for the MARAC policies in your area. Your consent is not always needed (though preferred) for a referral to MARAC to take place.

In answer to your question, your case may be closed after a set time (6 to 8 weeks) if your IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advocate) had lost touch with you and had not been able to contact you, after making a concerted effort.
The IDVA, would have represented your views as well as providing expert advice at the MARAC meeting.
Women’s Aid are right to say that the case will remain dormant and so a further referral may well result in further MARAC support.

Another way the MARAC may be closed, is if your partners risk meets the MAPPA (Multi agency public protection ) level, then MAPPA will take over, although this does not sound as if this would have happened in your case.

Why don’t you contact your IDVA (independent domestic violence advocate) and find out whether the MARAC case is closed?

In case you want support at a later date, here is information about MARAC and the support they can help you access.
The support that might be available, could be:
• Housing -adapting and making your home safe or helping you move across local authority borders to a safe accommodation;
• Children services -family support
• Education - ensuring children are only collected after school by safe adults.

Your partner could also reduce his own risky behaviour by accessing a course and therapy to get to the bottom of why he has needed to behave in an abusive way and to learn strategies to help him manage this in the future. He could contact the confidential helpline at Respect about what support is on offer.
You do not say whether your partner is also a father. If he is, here is information on our Young Parents website about father being assessed as risks or resources to families that he may find useful.

Women’s Aid can advise you about support you could access, such as the Freedom programme.

I hope this advice helps. Please post back if you need further advice or you could call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,


Post Reply