DV Social worker not being honest -FOI request

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:47 pm

DV Social worker not being honest -FOI request

Post by Ladybird » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:27 am

My son is on a child in need due to DV. I feel like the SW isn't being honest with me and is biased towards him even though DV. First son was on early help from initial assessment, as we split up and he’s on a restraining order.
My son has said his dad hit him (not just smacking) so I told SW. I’m so upset about it, but he’s denied it. SW wanted to do more assessments then and I feel like I’m being interrogated but I’ve not done anything wrong. She then also said concerned about my mental health too! Not sure where that came from but yes I’m stressed because of all this. I think my ex has been alleging things but I’ve no idea. SW said she wants to find out more about his daily life and how things affect him etc and if he’s happy etc.
SW seems to not be taking abuse towards him seriously and has said she doesn’t see why he can’t see him and she will say this in her report. They are doing work with my ex on over chastising! I have voiced that it’s abuse not over chastising.
I’ve asked for all information about me and son, SW told me to do a freedom of information request. Is this normal? Or just delaying tactics?
Should I complain about SW or will this cause me more issues etc?
If it goes to court for contact and they order a section 7 will it go to CAFCASS or our SW? I don’t want the SW as I fell she’s not taking him seriously

Thank you so much

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2684
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: DV Social worker not being honest -FOI request

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:41 pm

Dear Ladybird

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I see from your post that your son is currently on a child in need plan (CIN). Children’s services became involved because of domestic violence in your relationship with your son’s father.

You are concerned that the social worker is not being honest with you and appear biased. You think that because of the domestic violence and the report that your son made to you of being hit that the social worker should be dealing with the case differently. The social worker it seems did an assessment previously which led to your son being placed on CIN but now there are other issues that have come to light which she considers needs further investigation. You do not say how old your son is and it may be that the social worker wants to investigate further to ensure that there are no safeguarding issues which means that your son should not see his father. Whilst it may not be the case, in your situation, there are occasions where a mother or father tries to prevent contact. Children’s services do have to make sure that there are genuine safeguarding issues as lack of contact can, for some children be emotionally harmful.

You may find it helpful to read our advice sheet 4 Family support

It is important to remember that contact for a child with a parent is important provided it is safe for the child to have that contact. It is for the benefit of the child rather than the parent. Sometimes, contact has to be supervised to ensure that it is safe. Have you discussed this possibility with the social worker? Has the social worker informed what assessment she is doing at the moment? If not, I suggest you ask her.
You say that the social worker has mentioned concerns regarding your mental health, have you had mental health difficulties in the past? If not, you can ask the social worker why she has these concerns, whether she is qualified to assess your mental health.

From you say in your post, it appears that the issues the social worker consider need further investigation is the alleged abuse of your son by his father, your mental health and the issue of future contact.

Regarding information held by children’s services, you can request these and you may find it helpful to read our advice sheet 26 Access to information held by Children’s Services

Regarding a section 7 report, if there is an application to the court, the likelihood is children’s services would be asked to do the report as they are already involved. It may be the same social worker who will do the report, this will depend on the way the local authority allocates work. Cafcass, where children’s services is involved, will normally say to the court that children’s services should do the report. It is possible to ask the court to appoint Cafcass to do the report and provide good reasons for this.

I hope this this helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply