Can I move my child's school with having shared PR with LA?

Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 pm
Location: Cheshire

Can I move my child's school with having shared PR with LA?

Post by princess27 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:04 am

My child is and has been displaying signs of disturbing behaviours, jealousy and need of constant reassurance, he has mentioned in evidence that "he'll" hurt me? And he's told me of "the bully's " I'm concerned its from his current primary school can I change it whilst he's in foster care? I want to do this asap as he is being separated soon from my other son through another placement so he will get worse
Mummy to five beautiful children x

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Can I move my child's school with having shared PR with

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 am

Dear princess27,

I am sorry to hear about your son’s distress. He is currently in foster care and you believe he may be bullied at his current primary school. You want to know whether you can change his school. You say that you share parental responsibility-is this with the local authority?
Because your son is in foster care, a decision to move him to a different school can only be made jointly with children services.

However, children services have duties towards looking after your son including ensuring that he is safe in school. Have a look at page 7 of this advice sheet
Duties to children being looked after in the care system

You should have received a care plan which sets out the educational needs of your son and how these will be met. If not, ask for a copy from the social worker.

Contact your son’s social worker and point out your worries about your son’s school. Ask for your concerns to be investigated and ask whether he should be moved to another school. Explain why you think it is urgent-ie that you are very worried that he is being bullied.

If the social worker does not answer your queries, you should contact your son’s independent reviewing officer (IRO) directly about your worries. He or she will investigate. An IRO job is to manage your sons care plan and make sure that it is working properly for your son. Please have a look at page 16 of the advice sheet which sets out the role of the independent reviewing officer.

Ultimately, while your son remains in care, any decision to move your son to a new school will be made by children services in consultation with you.
I hope this answers your question. If not, please post back.

Best wishes,


Post Reply