Appealing a final hearing judgement.

ClJu

Appealing a final hearing judgement.

Post by ClJu » Thu May 02, 2019 12:23 pm

My children were taken from our care as my son had a fall but seemed fine until the next morning when he had a boggy swelling to his head. He was still fine in himself didnt seem in pain but i took him to hospital on advice by the HV. Turns out he had a fractured skull. Then the social workers said other bruises on the children seemed non accidental. They are accidental bruises caused by boisterous boys and sibling fighting. They also said the developmental delay that my children have is because of our parenting. I was pregnant at the time and following the birth of my first daughter in october she was also removed from our care straight from hospital. My partner and I were assessed by psychologists which confirmed my partner has low cognitive ability and his other son also had developmental delay but they do not agreethat it could be hereditary. I the judge ruled that 3 youngest be adopted and 2 oldest long term foster care. My eldest has had problem toileting which they also blame us for but in a meeting on 30th April in school the educational psychologist has stated that it is likely to be a medical condition. We have asked for appeal and sent a response to our barristers along with proof of our children doing things ss say they can't. What is the likelihood of us getting the judgement overturned?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Appealing a final hearing judgement.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Dear clju,
I am sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

I am sorry to hear about the outcome of the court proceedings. It must be incredibly difficult for you a the moment.

You ask for advice about appealing your case. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to give advice about this as we do not see your court papers and as we only give general advice about children services. But you have done exactly the right thing by asking your barrister to examine your case. Good luck with this process.

When adoption is a plan, children’s services should offer you an adoption support worker to help you obtain help and support and to help you understand and navigate the process.
Have a look at our advice sheets 23- about the adoption process and 24- about contact and adoption.

Advice sheet 11 concerns how children are looked after in the care system and the role of the independent reviewing officer.

As the educational psychologist says your sons incontinence is a medical issue, you could ensure this report is passed on to the independent reviewing officer (IRO) who is involved in making sure your children’s care plan is carried out by children’s services.

If you need further advice, please post again.

Best wishes,
Suzie