Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:38 pm


Post by Titch » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:59 pm

I'm in the process of getting my eldest son home he's staying with his nan temp, I'm going through a parenting assessment along side having contact with him. SW has asked for my brother's contact details as he has my youngest son can I refuse to give them details as my brother doesn't want his details given out to anyone.
Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2652
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Dear Titch

Welcome to the Parents’ discussion board and thank you for posting. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser.

It is good to hear that your eldest son should be coming home to you soon and that in the meantime he is being cared for by a family member, his nan, rather than a stranger. You are having contact with your son and also having a parenting assessment. Your brother is caring for your youngest son and not happy for his details to be passed on to the social worker.

I am not exactly sure what process you are involved in, perhaps a child protection plan or maybe you have agreed to your son being voluntarily accommodated and placed with his nan while you deal with some issues or more support is put in place? This can make a difference to the expectations and duties that children’s services have when they are working with your family.

Either way, as the social worker is doing a parenting assessment with you it is to be expected that she would need to include some information about your younger son’s circumstances and to make contact with his uncle who is looking after him. You are a parent to your younger son although he is not living with you at the moment so his situation and your brother’s role are relevant to your parenting assessment.

Perhaps it would help if you asked the social worker to clarify exactly why she needs your brother’s information and what she will do with it; also what effect it will have on your parenting assessment if you don’t provide it. You could even ask the social worker to put this in writing so that you could share and discuss this with your brother. Hopefully this might allay any concerns he has and help you to come to an agreement about this. I do understand your brother’s reluctance but in order to move forward with your aim of bringing your older boy home it is going to be important that you cooperate with the parenting assessment and that it is a thorough assessment.

I hope this helps. If you want to talk the situation through with an adviser you can ring our Freephone helpline on 0808 801 0366 Mon – Friday 9.30 to 3.00 or if you prefer you can post again, letting us know under what process you are working with children’s services.

With best wishes


Post Reply