Son in care wants return home....any advice appreciated

Sunflower74

Son in care wants return home....any advice appreciated

Post by Sunflower74 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:33 pm

My son was placed into care 15 months ago, on a care order which was set as a return home within 6-12 months. May I add that the reason for him going into care was due to a relationship breakdown between myself and him, and lack of social services support that was offered but never received ( false promises )!! My son comes home every weekend from Friday to Monday morning, and stays with me during holidays. There are no implications regarding my parenting just so you are all aware. Social services told me my son would return home in July but this never happened. We were then told he will definitely be home by October half term, then subsequently told Christmas. I'm sure you can all see a pattern here.
My son still attends the same school but has to travel 1hr 15mins twice daily to and from school from his placement. Whilst in the placement Monday evening till Friday morning he does not do anything but sit in his room there. Is this detrimental to my sons well-being.? I as his parent would strongly suggest it is, he has no social life and can not possibly lead typical normal teenage life.
Having had social services here today, to express this to them ( for the millionth time), I asked them what would happen if my son just never went back to the home this Monday? They could not give me a direct answer, I believe they would have no arguments against why he should not be with me, as they have told me this several times. Apparently I've just got to "play the game" and sit it out and wait for the process. If they had been sufficient in doing their job properly then my son would be back home no questions asked, but because of their failur with this case, things have been prolonged in what now seems a ridiculous time lapse. We DO not want to get into trouble and have jumped through every hoop and over every hurdle with what they have requested from us. Can they say the same?, I don't think so.
Right so herein lies the question....If my son was to refuse to go back to his placement on Monday, what would happen? Would police be involved and take my son from our home? Would anyone be able to forcibly remove him? Any advice would be gratefully received... thank you for taking the time to read. xx

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Son in care wants return home....any advice appreciated

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Dear Sunflower4

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry that your post has not received a response until now.

From your post it appears that there has been a plan in place for your son to return to your care but for some reason children’s services (the new name for social services) has not followed through on finalising your son’s move.

You want to know what would happen if your son did not return to his placement after his weekend contact with you. Since he is still under a care order, children’s services could insist on him returning to his foster placement and may ask the police to remove him. Depending on your son’s age, children’s services might allow him to remain as he has been having good contact and the plan is for him to return. However, a planned return would probably be best for your son.

There seems to have been missed deadlines so my suggestion is that you put in writing to children’s services a request for a clear explanation of why your son has not yet moved as agreed, what the plan is now and for a proper timeline to be put in place. You could consider making a formal complaint about the way in which things have been handled so far.

Assuming that you have had a positive assessment for your son to return home, is the plan that the care order should be discharged or will your son return to your care under the care order. If children’s services intend to apply to discharge the care order, ask for them to say which this application will be made. Alternatively, you could consider making the application to discharge the care order and the return of your son to your care. The court route would be longer as it will depend on court time and when the case can be listed for hearing.

I suggest you have a discussion with the independent reviewing officer (IRO), who should be overseeing the implementation of the plan for your son’s return home. You may find it helpful to read for information our advice sheetReuniting children in the care system with their families

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie