psychological assessment ?

bumblefoot

psychological assessment ?

Post by bumblefoot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Quick background, My partner and I have 3 children, all 3 were placed in voluntery care in april, Since then, 2 of our children have returned home because of a breakdown in with their foster carers ( all 3 were in differnt placements )

My family has ( unfortunetly ) been known to SS for a number of years, and there has always been issues around the state of the home. Now dont get me wrong, its not a cess pit, it could of just been better I guess.
My two youngest ( now 8 + 7 ) both have behavioral difficulties, and this led to me becoming deeply depressed, because I just didnt know how to cope, the help wasnt there,

The SW requested the family have a psychological assessment, she said it was to do with, proving we could keep up with the demands of the kids/house, follwing things through and sticking to it. I think. But what really does it entail, because it hasnt been explained to me, and i'm damn scared incase I say something wrong.

The time away from my kids really allowed me to reflect on where I think I went wrong, I attended councilling to help sort out some of my past issues,am on mediaction for the depression, attend a parenting group for parents of special needs children, really stepped up at home, to the point where the SW said there wasn't a risk, and no reason to place the children I have back, back into the care system ( although we're being appointed a support worker, we expected that )

Its just this psychological assessment, its like a dark cloud looming over me, and I wish I knew what to expect,

TKH

Re: psychological assessment ?

Post by TKH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:16 pm

if you agree to a psychological assessment this can easily come back to haunt you! offer to fully engaage with any parenting classes/courses instead.

bumblefoot

Post by bumblefoot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:19 pm

We're doing the classes, We didnt ( afaik ) have a choice about the assessment, it was drawn up at a conference meeting back in may ( ish ), Was meant to be completed by the end of July, but there were problems with funding, or something.

We've been told, that the outcome of this will determine if the children return to our care. ( even though 2 are back already )

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Dear Bumblefoot

Welcome to the discussion forum and thank you for your posts. My name is Suzie and I am an adviser at Family Rights Group.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your family have been experiencing. It sounds as though you have worked extremely hard to improve your situation and get appropriate support in place.

A psychological assessment could take various forms and request various information. There is not a standard format for these assessments as it will depend on a number of things including,
• Who is carrying out the assessment
• The purpose of the assessment
• The needs of a particular family

It sounds as though your situation has changed significantly since the assessment was suggested. Most notably, two of your children are now back in your care, the social worker has given really positive feedback and there is no suggestion that the children should be returned to the care system at this time.

On this basis, it may be worth raising the issue of the assessment again and questioning whether it is still appropriate to the needs of your family. Is this something that you feel you could raise with the social worker at or before the next core group meeting? It may help to write down all of the progress that has been made and the reasons you feel an assessment of this kind is no longer relevant.

If the social worker says that Children’s Services still wish to go ahead with the assessment, ask them to clarify their exact reasons behind this decision, exactly what the assessment will cover and how the information will be used in future planning. I would suggest that you ask for this in writing for clarity.

It may be helpful to contact the chairperson of the protection conferences and/ or the independent reviewing officer for your child to raise these questions and concerns also.

Children’s Services cannot force you to undertake the assessment. If they feel it is necessary, however, and you do not agree, this could have negative implications for you. Children’s Services could argue that you are being uncooperative and give this as a reason to suggest that, for example, you are not able to prioritise the children’s needs. It is important, therefore, to be clear about exactly what is being expected of you and the implications of any decision that you might make.

If the assessment is going to go ahead, I would expect there to be an initial meeting with the assessor to discuss the process, timescales etc. This is a further opportunity for you to ask any relevant questions so that you are as prepared as possible for what to expect.

You have said that your children were accommodated voluntarily. I assume that this is still the case for your child who remains in care?

In this situation, Children’s Services do not have any parental responsibility for your children. This means that they can only continue to keep your child in care if you agree or if a court gives them permission to do this. It also means that they should be agreeing all plans for your child with you, including any long-term plans.

I wonder if you have a solicitor Bumblefoot? If not, I would advise that you take some initial legal advice about your situation from a solicitor on the Children Law Panel. I would certainly advise you to seek legal advice urgently if Children’s Services give any indication that they intend to take steps to keep you child away from your care or remove your other children against your wishes.

I hope this helps. Please do post again with any further queries or call our free and confidential advice line (0808 8010366) which is open from 9.30am- 3.30pm, Monday- Friday. In the meantime, I would advise that you have a look at our advice sheets regarding child protection procedures and duties of the local authority when children are in the care system

Best Wishes

Suzie
FRG Adviser

bumblefoot

Post by bumblefoot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Thankyou for that information.

We've just been given no information on this at all, so naturally i'm paranoid/nervous as hell about it all.
Well no, we've been told that the outcome of this will determine if the children are to be in long term care, or not return to us, something along those lines.
Our assessment starts on Monday.

In answer to some of your questions, Yes we have a solicitor,
The child who is remaining in care at the moment is the one I have most difficulty with, For whatever reason, I became his target, and felt threatened by him, and have made it clear to the social services, that as much as I want him home, our relationship has to be fixed, we're hoping on theraplay. Its a horrible horrible feeling, knowing I can cope better without him home, but I worry that if me & him arnt sorted, then things will just decline again, as i recluse myself away from him.
Sounds so nasty saying that..

AFAIK there are no more core assessments, we went through all that last year, it was a few months after all the core assessments/conferences ended that the children were removed from our care, after it was decided by our old social worker, that we would not be able to manage with the children AND go through the psyc assessment. ( yet we now have 2 at home, go figure )

The children, whilst in our care were on a CPP, obviously, going into care they were removed from that plan, and the 2 children who are now at home have not been put back on it, nor has there been any word of them needing to.

NP123

Post by NP123 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi just some advise please, my son was removed at 3 days old due to having my other son removed And other concerns also when I had my other son I had very bad post natal depression and was in a bad relationship and not in a gud place in my life I have come such a long way moved to a new home grown up alot so much has changed, I have such a good bond with my baby love him so much n so does his father it's his first child over the moon to become a new father but yet they have done this its destroyed us feels like our hearts have been ripped out we just so confused about the whole thing I c him 4 times a week but breaks me every time when I leave him he's with foster people atm but trying to get him with familly my social worker has told me she wants him returned to my care once I do everything to prove them wrong the court case is ongoing I'm doing all I can to remain strong it is so hard though. My solicitor put me forward to go to a Assesment unit with my son well she applied for a thew But one of them have said they want me to do a psychological Assesment but I have a choice if I want it done or not but all parties go to a court have said they recommend I have it done but worried about the outcome because my solicitor and social worker said it might not be a good outcome also what sort of questions will they ask? Can I have some advise please.

Mumofthree

Post by Mumofthree » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:44 pm

I had a psychological assessment done. Social pay thousands to private psychologists as they can bribe them to say what they want. I got 'diagnosed' with borderline personality disorder. Doctor disagreed and put me through one on the NHS which came back all clear. ALWAYS get a second opinion from your doctor. The social services don't like to use the NHS for a reason, and that reason is because they can't be bribed as easily. Most mothers all get diagnosed with a personality disorder, coincidence??

NP123

Post by NP123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Dear mumofthree I have got to have a assesment done I'm a bit worried about of what he will ask I do have a choice as to wether I have it done or not but my solicitor is saying that the la will b stuck and saying that if I don't I'm putting my needs before my son he is not with me atm I'm fighting so hard to have him back with me, i have personality disorder traits was your child or children not with you when you had this done what sort of questions did the assessor ask? Will it be the outcome of wether your child comes bak or not sorry jus want some advise.

NP123

Post by NP123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Dear mumofthree my son is not with me atm I'm fighting so hard to have him returned to me the LA want me to have this assesment done due to issues from the past I have a choice as to wether I have it done or not i am so worried about it as this is the outcome isent it wether you have you child back or not right? If I don't have it done the LA say they will be stuck also will think that I'm putting my needs first I have traits of border line personality disorder what questions do they ask did yours go ok will I be OK? Just some advise plesee.

NP123

Post by NP123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Dear mumofthree my son is not with me atm I'm fighting so hard to have him returned to me the LA want me to have this assesment done due to issues from the past I have a choice as to wether I have it done or not i am so worried about it as this is the outcome isent it wether you have you child back or not right? If I don't have it done the LA say they will be stuck also will think that I'm putting my needs first I have traits of border line personality disorder what questions do they ask did yours go ok will I be OK? Just some advise plesee.