Solicitor needed for answering bail?

BlueOwl

Solicitor needed for answering bail?

Post by BlueOwl » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:02 pm

I was arrested last month, and my original bail date was extended to late October pending Child Services report. The solicitors who attended me at my interview sent me a letter confirming the bail date, does this mean they consider themselves engaged by me (I did NOT return the engagement slip they sent me), or is that routine for a solicitor requested under the rights read to you? Also, will I need to have a solicitor present when I answer bail?

Thanks

Miserylovescompany2

Re: Solicitor needed for answering bail?

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Hello - I would imagine the solicitor who dealt with your arrest is merely forwarding the bail date to you. You have not communicated otherwise. If I was in your position I would contact this solicitor and ask if they are able to represent you? They might assume you have instructed another firm. Also as an aside - if you were eligible for legal aid...you would need to provide all the necessary paperwork.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert btw.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm

BlueOwl wrote:I was arrested last month, and my original bail date was extended to late October pending Child Services report. The solicitors who attended me at my interview sent me a letter confirming the bail date, does this mean they consider themselves engaged by me (I did NOT return the engagement slip they sent me), or is that routine for a solicitor requested under the rights read to you? Also, will I need to have a solicitor present when I answer bail?

Thanks
Dear BlueOwl

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group. Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, our service does not extend to offering advice in respect of criminal matters.

You say that children’s services were directed to provide a report and your bail has been extended to a new date. Are you involved in proceedings in the family court as well as the police investigating a matter? We give advice where children’s services is involved with a family because of safeguarding concerns. You have not given any information regarding this.

I think the best thing for you to do is make contact with the solicitor who sent you the letter and as suggested by Kami2018’s post find out if they are willing to represent you or, in the alternative, engage a different solicitor to attend at the next date when you are answering bail.

You really need to think about having a solicitor who will be able to advise you about the matter being investigated by the police as well as any charges that might be brought against you.

I am sorry but this is not within our remit.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Suzie

BlueOwl

Post by BlueOwl » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm attending a multi agency meeting today with CS to discuss or be told the situation for a child in need plan for my kids.
If I ask the solicitor anything, will they bill me for it? It may be overparanoid, but I don't want to be billed £50 just for asking whether I should have someone there for the bail (besides, of course they're going to say yes...!).

Miserylovescompany2

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi again Blue owl,

I can not see a solicitor charging you money simply for asking a question. You are not instructing them to do anything on your behalf. Asking a question should not incur a charge. You will also be able to enquire whether or not you are eligible for legal aid.

Your local citizen's advice will also be able to advise you. Most have drop in clinics - on certain days/times. Their advice is free. If they can not help they will sign post you to who can.

Hope this helps...