What are my rights regarding requesting information about my children?

Cheshire2003

What are my rights regarding requesting information about my children?

Post by Cheshire2003 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 pm

I've requested foster carer notes and wishes and feelings reports from my children for the last 5 years to present day si from 2013 to 2018 I requested it to a sw in 2013 face to face and got declined so left it at that now due to changes in my children's emotional state and changes in contact I'm being slowly pushed away and out of involvement in my two sons life I want to see there life work or at least a copy of it but all this information has recently been denied to me I've been told Its personal information about my children and due to there ages (14 & 11) there mature enough to make there own decisions and data protection will prevent this info being given to Me? I understand this but they also have disabilitys my eldest is autistic and has adhd and my 11 year old has adhd. Are the social workers telling the truth or am I really not entitled to have any reports from foster carers or see there wishes and feelings?

charmed1

Re: What are my rights regarding requesting information about my children?

Post by charmed1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Cheshire2003. In my case despite supplying loads of pictures back in 2014 to the then social worker and following the recent LAC review in January this year when the IRO is still chasing. I doubt any Life Story has ever been complied for my children at all! The IRO keeps asking about it and the current social worker doesn't respond. It's stated in the minutes that it's required but nothing is ever done about it. My son is now home while my daughter remains in foster care due to her learning disability and global development delay. The old foster carer's computer apparently broke and she couldn't give me any pictures of my children from the four years they were in her care! Honestly?! The SEN team case worker is questioning my parental responsibilty now as I've asked for a copy of my daughter's EHCP. I asked back in January and still I've heard nothing! I share PR that's in the children's act so why the ? I too am being pushed out but I'm a pain in the butt and will continue to be as these people need to be told.

Cheshire2003

Post by Cheshire2003 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:00 pm

I've been told I'm just not entitled to I kniw a lot of lies were probs written about me which I don't want my kids seeing it's just assumptions the sw written and guesses into inncidents which never happened. I used to send photos for there life work but stopped in 2015 now my son with autism hates his photo being taken. I only want the info to prove that the foster carer is clearly manipulating my children into not seeing me I know it sounds crazy but since time in her care my children have changed. Even the medication there on I don't want them taking due to my youngest not growing anymore he's very small and my elswsr is not putting weight on and lost about a stone in weight, also the drug there on methylphenidate (aka ritalin)is linked to sudden death and an enlarged heart it's not doing my children any good there like zombies now.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:41 am

Dear Cheshire2003

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I see that you are concerned about the records that children’s services hold regarding you and your children.

You say that you have been told that you are not entitled to see the records. This is not entirely the case as you are able to make a formal request to access your case files. Due to your children’s ages they can be asked if they agree to information about them being disclosed to you. This would not prevent disclosure but, if they said no, then the papers you receive would be redacted which would allow information about them to be blocked out.

Please read our advice sheet about accessing records held by children’s services.

The Information Commissioner’s Office can also give you more information about accessing records and data protection. Their website is here

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Fly

Post by Fly » Thu May 10, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Suzie and Group.

I wondered if I could ask about any assessment reports from children's services, as I read somewhere that there is a assessment report drawn up after an allegation is made.

So are you allowed to ask for a copy of the assessment carried out after someone's made an allegation about you, that would revel how the children's services worker viewed the information they received?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 am

Hi Fly,

Yes you can ask for copies of assessment reports as well. If the referral was by a third party who was not a professional, such as a neighbour, you should not be given the identity of who made the referral.
Best wishes,
Suzie

Fly

Post by Fly » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 am

Asking for assessment reports.

I just wanted to say Thank you for your advice it is most welcome as it is complicated and my daughter refused to talk much about much of this to me at first and only with the information she is telling me now and what I've seen and heard from the dad, since they got together am I able to say she along with her boys were vulnerable to the minipulation the dad has shown since then to me but how he had affected her emotionally by putting her down, belittling her, calling her mad and laughing in her face, some of which he did infront of the boys, plus more.
Thank you Suzie, I will post on the suggested forum by you in future, when I find it. Sorry having difficulties finding my way around.