Special Guardianship Advice

CB3

Special Guardianship Advice

Post by CB3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

Hi all,

I’m in a very sticky situation and I don’t really know how to deal with it?

From the day my daughter was born social services turned up 4 hours after and told me and her dad that we were being taken to court due to her father apparently being a “risk to her “ at 3 days old me and my daughter and shipped 2 hours away from home in a mother and baby foster placement in xxxx away from all family and friends who would of been my support network and then social services started to intimidate me and make me feel down about my parenting I had no help from no one and at xxx this is extremely hard when you have pnd as well as social services watching your every move they convinced me that her dad was abusive so I parted from him and then he had forensic risk assessment done and proved he wasn’t a risk at all but i wasn’t aloud to speak to him? Then they told me that if I left placement and my daughter it would look better on me as they were going to remove my daughter from my care but what they weren’t telling me was they had been playing me and my daughters dad from day1 telling us two different things and then when I came back to xxxxxxx I spoke to my daughters father and we realized how much they had got into my head I’ve never been so hurt in my intire life..the special guardians order was placed and now we are doing everything we can but it doesn’t seem enough help?
Last edited by Suzie, FRG Adviser on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To prevent a breach of confidentiality

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Special Guardianship Advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Dear CB3

Welcome to the Board

I am sorry to hear of your situation. From what you say, it seems that you were involved with Children’s Services during your pregnancy and that you were assessed in a mother and baby environment. I am sorry to hear that you were far from friends and family during that assessment period and that it was suggested to you that you leave the placement. Did social workers say that you failed your assessment and tell you that your baby will be looked after by a family member, or did your baby go to an unrelated foster carer?

You mention that Children Services were in contact with the father or your baby, this is quite normal, the social workers would have to speak with him before and during the court proceedings that lead to the Special Guardianship Order (SGO) being made.

Now that the SGO has been made can you say whether it was to a family member and can you say what type of contact arrangements were made for you to see your child? Our advice sheet about Special Guardianship: what does it mean for birth parents is something you might like to read. Special Guardianship Orders usually last until the child is 18 years old. I am sorry if that seems a long time but changing orders can be difficult and parents need permission from a court to do so: our advice sheet will tell you a little more about this too.

If you would like to discuss your situation in confidence and in more detail and perhaps give us answers to the questions that I have asked, do call our advice line on 0808 801 0366, lines are open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.00pm.

Best wishes

Suzie