Child protection conference

MK123

Child protection conference

Post by MK123 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 am

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:51 am

Hi my wife accuse me of domestic violence and get involve police and social services then two weeks later drop all allegation and wanted to come back but social services are concerned because she accuse me of hitting my 22 month old son.Which she admitt she lied now SS arrange a child protection conference and invite me aswel but one day before they ring me and tell me not to come into conference and they will ring me about the outcome of conference but they havnt also they promise me to give me supervised contact with my child until my risk assessments completed but they lied again.
I am in a situation where i dnt know what shall i do?
Any advice ll be good

MK123

Re: Child protection conference

Post by MK123 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am

Anyone there to help please??

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Dear MK123

Welcome to the Parents Forum.
I understand that a child protection conference took place to decide whether or not your 22 month old child might have been harmed and whether he is at an ongoing risk of harm.

At the last minute, children services asked you not to come to the meeting but did say they would let you know the outcome of the conference and would also be setting up supervised contact between you and your son. You have not heard anything.

I agree with you. You need to know:
• what happened at the meeting (was a child protection plan made or a child in need plan or no plan)
• what arrangements been made for you to have contact with your son.
If you still have not heard, I think the first thing to do is to telephone the social worker or her manager. I would also email her.
If you are not getting the information you need, then you should telephone children services complaints. The complaints officer will then be able to contact the social worker on your behalf. Here is our advice sheet about complaints.

If a child protection plan has been made, it is very important that you know this and what is on the plan, as you will be expected to follow the plan.
You were not allowed to go to the child protection conference. Both parents are usually invited to child protection conferences. However, in exceptional circumstances, for example, if there is a high level of conflict, then children services may hold separate meetings or manage a conference differently. THis may be why you were asked not to attend. But find out why.
For more information about child protection have a look at out FAQ’s for fathers.

If you need further advice, please post again or you could call our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie

MK123

Post by MK123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Thank you very much for your kind reply,
As i never heard of anything from them so i rang them up on last friday to ask whats going on so my son SW was off her assisstant SW told me that my son is subjected to child protection plan and she will drop me some paper work regarding the plan by hand to my home where i am living at the minute temporarily while the assessments are completed.
They doing some PAMs assessments on my wife and my told me that they wrote in plan they have concerns that we both want to resume our relationship.
If i dnt hear from them can i apply to court for child arrangement order ?
My wife want to live with me and she wanted me to see my son as she ask the SW aswel about to see my son.
Or applying for child arrangment order means i am going to court against my wife?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Dear MK123,

Thank you for posting back.

A child protection plan was made at the conference. Have you received a copy of the child protection plan yet?

A child protection plan means that professionals such as the social worker are worried that your son might be at risk of being harmed. It says what support and monitoring will be put in place. The plan will be reviewed after three months and then every six months.

So as a dad, it is really important that you understand what you need to do. The plan will also be compulsory so you should ask the social worker to explain it to you.

I think you should ask the social worker:
• to explain the plan to you and what you need to do to make sure your son is not put in any danger.
• Ask the social worker to explain why she would be worried if you and your wife resumed your relationship?
• Does the plan say you need to go on a course about domestic violence?
• Ask the social worker when can you see your son? Will your contact be supervised?

• Ask your social worker for advocate. Here is information about advocates.

To find out about DV courses in your area and for help around understanding what domestic violence is, you could contact Respect’s helpline on 0808 802 4040.

PAMS assessment
Your wife is having a PAMs assessment. This is a parenting assessment when there are child protection concerns. It will look at your wife’s parenting and whether she needs extra support. This type of assessment is good for parents who may also have learning difficulties, (for example, difficulties reading) because it uses picture cards for some of the assessment.

Here is some information about PAMs assessments .

Should you apply for a child arrangements order?

Although you certainly can apply, I suggest that you first ask the social worker to assess you for contact. The assessment should take a few weeks. Until she knows whether you might be risky to your son contact is likely to be supervised and it could be at a contact centre.

I cannot advise you, one way or the other, about applying for a court order. Instead, you could contact the advice line at Families need fathers on 0300 0300 363 , or speak to one of our advisers on our advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Please post back if you have any questions.

Best wishes
Suzie

MK123

Post by MK123 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 am

Thanks SUZIE for your reply.
I have recieved the copy of child protection plan.
According to plan They need to complete assessments on my wife by 4/5/2018.
They involve family support worker,Adult social worker to go twice a week to support my wife with my son behaviour.As they concern my son’s behaviour as he hit twice to the SW.
Also according to plan they have started my parenting and risk assessments on 26th of feb which will end by 25th of march.
It doesnt say in plan about domestic violence course.
They referd me for parenting lessons which i already started on 5th march which is 10 week course.
They have concern about my son being injure if we fight again in future.
They also mention in plan that my son have no boundries.
Also they assess me and my uncle and they started contact with my son in uncle’s supervision in park or somewhere around town this week once and twice a week from next week.
As my wife has mild learning difficulties so they assessing her with pictures card.
I Hope when our assessments will complete they will allow me to join my family again or they can stop me after that aswel?My assessments are going well at the minute and SW told me that things are getting better with my wife and son since the first conference.
Hope to hear from you soon

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Dear MK123,

I am glad that you have a copy of the child protection plan.

I can see that it sets out the two assessments of you that will take place.
The “risk” assessment will be in relation to the alleged domestic violence. It may recommend a domestic violence course for you to attend. It should also deal with whether you pose any other risk to your son. You will want to have unsupervised contact with him so this will be assessed.

The other assessment may be a general social work assessment so will look at your parenting ability and what support you might need to parent your son.
The assessment will look at your relationship with mum, your son and family and friends. She should ask about your background such as your childhood and previous partners. She will want to know whether there is anything that might affect your parenting such as a health condition. She will want to check where you live and how you “present” to her. The assessment can feel very intrusive but it is better to cooperate so that she can know about you. You could ask her about any courses you can do and ask for a copy of the assessment.

The parenting course should hopefully help you set boundaries for your son as well as giving you other parenting skills.
Family Lives can also give advice about parenting.

If you have any questions, please post back.

Best wishes,
Suzie