Physiologist assessment

Post Reply
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Physiologist assessment

Post by twilight1107 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:53 am

Can a dr from psychologist for family court keep writing negative reports and keep making recommendations? We have done everything asked and saw her again two years later but still not happy which effects things, also we have been assessed by the social worker but they waiting for the dr report on our change. Any one else had this problem?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2212
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Physiologist assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello twilight1107

Thanks for your further post.

From your post you seem to be very concerned about whether a psychologist can write negative reports and make recommendations. When a psychologist is asked to carry out an assessment and provide a report, this is on the basis that they will provide expert professional opinions based on the assessment carried out.

You say that you have done everything that was asked but seeing the psychologist 2 years later, she is still not happy. Is it the case that the psychologist has seen no changes at all? Or has seen some change but considers that more work is need on your part. If there has been changes and your daughter could return home if you have additional support, then this is something that children’s services would have to consider when deciding whether or not your daughter can return to your care.

I do not think that a psychologist would give a negative report or make recommendations unless it was the correct information. Included below is an explanation of psychological assessment (adult) from our A-Z of Terms:

'A psychologist is a professional with expert knowledge of the human mind, feelings and behaviour.
Sometimes, when you and your child are involved with Children’s Services, you may be asked to have a psychological assessment This may be recommended as part of a child protection plan or it may be ordered in court proceedings.
You should always be asked if you agree to an assessment. But, it is important to be aware that if it has been ordered by a court, you will normally be expected to cooperate with the assessment and if you don’t, the court will want to know why. This is something you can discuss with your solicitor if you have one.
When the psychologist sees you, they may ask you about things like:
• how you are now and what has happened to you in the past, including when you were a child;
• whether you are able to change things that affect the way you care for your child;
• whether, with the right support or treatment, you could look after your child better; and
• whether you would be able to make changes to the way you care for your child within a timescale which is suitable for your child’s development.

You can go to our A-Z of terms here .

After the psychologist has seen you, they will normally prepare a report about you for the child protection conference or the court. You should be able to see the report and be given time to think about (and respond to) any recommendations the psychologist makes in the report.'

You can also comment on anything in the report which is factually incorrect or was not part of the meetings you had with the psychologist.

If children’s services have done a positive assessment themselves, then they will have to consider very carefully the recommendations in the report and whether giving additional support will address any concerns the psychologist has identified.

A copy of our advice sheet relating to children being reunited to their family was sent to you previously so you might want to have another look at this.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you find this of help.

Best wishes


Post Reply