overnight contact

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:33 pm

overnight contact

Post by SD2218 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm

I have 3 children from previous relationships and recently had a baby. My older children were removed from my care through neglect over 5 years ago. My oldest is in the care of local authorities but my other 2 are with family on a sgo. I have proven to ss that I'm not a risk to my baby and they are no longer involved. I've also never been stopped contact with my children since they were taken. I was looking for advice as to how I can go about getting overnight or weekend contact with the 2 who with family. Local authorities are trying to now slowly integrate my oldest into overnight stays eventually but I don't know how do this with the other 2. Who do I need to have permission from as ss not involved with them. Any help much appreciated Thanks in advance x

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2217
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: overnight contact

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Dear SD2218

Welcome to the Board.

To change or vary the contact arrangements that were made at the time the Special Guardianship Order was granted it may be best to start by speaking to the special guardians. You have said that they are family members and already allow you to see the children; you can talk to them about how much your parenting has improved and tell them that social workers agree with you and that they are now considering additional or extra contact between you and your child who is in the care of the local authority.

It may be wise to approach the guardians with a plan and perhaps a date that you would like the weekend or overnight contact to begin. You should also consider the dates that ‘make sense’ for the children’s schedules – for example, if they both go to school then weekend contact might be better for them than school week night contact.

If you find it difficult to speak to the guardians about extra contact Children’s Services, may be able to help you, our advice sheet called Special Guardianship: what does it mean for birth parents may also be useful to you.

Best wishes


Post Reply