*Legal advice* My ex is on the sex offenders register

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm

*Legal advice* My ex is on the sex offenders register

Post by Freshbook888 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 pm

My ex partner and “father” to my youngest child was sentenced last year for a variety of different charges against children he will be released from what I can work out at the end of 2018. He was also placed on the sex offender register for life.

My question relates to my youngest child. Obviously we are both named on the birth certificate therefor giving us both equal rights. During his sentencing the judge had stated that any contact with any child would have to supervised by a parent of guardian and then for my benefit that it would have to go through “external agencies” ie: child services. What is the likihood that he would be able to act upon his rights? My child would be 3/4 upon his release and hasn’t ever had a relationship with him past the age of 8 weeks.

I’ve desperately exhausted all search engines, CAB, and any free advice I can obtain and I repeatedly get different answers.

I doubt he would make any contact with myself in order to have access or approach any agency but I can’t find any clear laws on how a situation like this would be handled.

Any help would be much appreciated. Very worried mother x

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2175
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: *Legal advice* My ex is on the sex offenders register

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Dear Freshbook888

Welcome to the Parents’ Discussion Board and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

You are clearly concerned about future contact between your son and your ex-partner with whom you share parental responsibility.

There are restrictions on your son’s father about contact with children generally, so if you did not agree to supervise contact, he could go to court to ask for contact. This would of course be a matter for him.

As this issue relates to private law issues of contact I think it best that you make contact with Coram Children’s Legal Centre (Child Law Advice) as this is their area of expertise. Their telephone number is 0300 330 5480. Here is the link to their website . Sorry to refer you on as you have said you contacted other services but we advise when children’s services are involved with a family.

If children’s services were to become involved later on you can contact our advice service on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes


Post Reply