Significant change to ge child home

twilight1107

Significant change to ge child home

Post by twilight1107 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 am

Hi,

My daughter family home have broken down now in fostercare, we have been given a chance, ie an updated psychological assessment and a comprehensive assessment.

My children was put in care in 2015 and court concluded that none of them could come home in 2016 until now my daughter and care proceedings. Since 2016 I have completed the recommended therapy, learnt he’ll of a lot and importantly insight to the children experiences. And attended a parent course. So been two years of time and change.

I feel I am able to transfer what I have learnt.

I hope it is enough but feel that they all have already made up their minds. As things keep popping out of the hat.

Any one been successful in showing change?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Significant change to ge child home

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Dear twilght1107,

Welcome back to the Parents Forum.

You say that your daughter’s placement with her family has broken down and she is back in foster care. There is a plan for her to return home to you and you are being assessed. The law says that before children return home from care an assessment should be completed. This will include assessing your daughter’s needs, your ability to meet her specific needs, your home environment and the family and friends support you have.
Part of the assessment will include assessing how you have changed or how your parenting skills have improved. As your daughter is older, her needs will have changed as well.

If the assessment identifies issues that need to be addressed, then children services should consider what support you might need as well as what help your daughter might need to settle back home.
Do you have sight of her most recent care plan which will set out her needs?
Have you got a plan in mind for how she will come home? For example, will the plan take place over a few weeks with her having increasing contact? What about the school she might attend, have they got a place and will it meet her needs?
Will she still be having contact with her siblings or other adults in her life and how will that be facilitated? Will children’s service’s still need to be involved for a while?
What support do you have around you, if things are difficult?
What issues keep popping up? Are you able to address these? Do you have an idea of how things are going and what else you might need to do?
For more advice please look at our advice sheet about re-uniting children home from the care system]

You could also post back here or call our advice line for more support.

Best wishes,

Suzie

twilight1107

Re: Significant change to ge child home

Post by twilight1107 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Suzie

Thing is, they are waiting for us to see the pyshciologist, to see if we have changed. Had over 12 months of therapy and have answers to what happened previously to warrant my children being taken.

All we can do is wait until we see the pyschologist as ss won’t tell us how we doing with the assessments until the outcome of psychological report.

It is like what you said in your email, they are asking us what we think our daughter needs ect.