Partner charges with possession of indecent images

Torn apart 87

Partner charges with possession of indecent images

Post by Torn apart 87 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi.
My partner is going to be charged on the 14th for possession of 100's of indecent images ranging from cat. A to C, 2 years to 14 years old (amounts and classifications not specific until charge is issued).

I have a 6 week old baby, who is now on a child protection plan, we have both be in full co-operation with social services, and they know full details of the investigation. We are making good progress with them, and we are both due to have our assessments within the next 4 weeks for the possibilty of supervised contact (currently through a contact centre).

I am a bit concerned, however. The work with social services commenced during the being of the investigation, but will all of our hard work be undone now there will definitely be a charge? They have stated that they have based everything around worst case scenario to begin with, but will that all change when he's charged? I don't want to feel like we've progressed for nothing, and that we will end up going around in circles.

Yes I am standing by him, due to the circumstances in which this behaviour began (and no, I am not minimising). He is fully aware of my disgust at the situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Partner charges with possession of indecent images

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Dear Torn apart 87

Thank you for your post and welcome to the parents’ discussion board.

I see from your post that your partner is due to be charged with downloading images of children. Your 6 week old baby is on the child protection and both you and your partner are working well with children’s services (new name for social services) who are aware of the police investigation.

Please see our advice sheet relating to child protection procedures

It is understandable that you are now worried about the impact that your partner being charged is likely to have the work already done and continuing with children’s services. I think it unlikely that there will be very much changed from children’s services point of view. The enquiries and work that they are doing would, I think, be the same whether he was charged or not. Their concerns remain the same your partner’s behaviour and how this is likely to impact on your child now or in the future. Even if the police decided not to pursue the case, this would not stop children’s services in the work they are doing with your family.

Your risk assessments are due to start and this will of course help to decide the level of risk your child’s father is likely to pose and whether contact can go ahead supervised. I do not think that his being charged will affect this work being carried out.
If you wish you may want to make contact with Lucy Faithfull Foundation who can advise you more on issues relating to your partner’s behaviour in downloading images of children which considered to be sexual abuse. They work with both the offender and their family and their website is here for your information.

Once your partner is charged, this will lead to a court hearing the outcome of which could be a custodial sentence. If you have not already considered this, will you want contact to continue if he is serving a sentence and do you know children’s services views on this aspect of the case? I suggest you ask the social worker what concerns they would have about contact in these circumstances.

You are both of course doing the right thing engaging and cooperating with children’s services. You are clear that you are not minimising your partner’s actions but want to be sure all the work you have put in so far will not go to waste. Children’s services seem, from what you say in your post to have explained how the work with you and your partner has been approached. I think what they want to be sure of is that you will be a protective factor for our child.

Should you wish to discuss matters further with an adviser, do telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Suzie

Mitzi

Post by Mitzi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 pm

It’s such a tough time and all sorts must be going through your mind. My husband was convicted in 2006 he did not receive a custodial sentence and was placed on the sex offenders register for 7 years.
All I can say is work with social services and be honest, we started work in the November 2005 but they did not receive the computer back until the March/April 2006 and although things may of slightly changed once they had the evidence most of it had already been established (thinking the worse case scenario).
I worked closely with social services and did everything they requested including a seeing a forensic psychologist. Social services agreed for me to supervise contact which I have done successfully for the last 7 years, I too stood by my husband due to the circumstances. I have a very supportive Dad that looks after the children once a week so we can go out and be a couple. I hope it all goes ok.

Torn apart 87

Post by Torn apart 87 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Mitzi would it be ok to pm You? I think you may be able to answer some more questions I have if it ok

Mitzi

Post by Mitzi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 am

Yes of course you can I am more than happy to help