Child in need plan

Kelviz

Child in need plan

Post by Kelviz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 pm

My children were placed onto child protection in December 2019 as there were concerns regarding developmental delay and removed in July 2020. During this time everything requested of us as parents was of course adhered to and no concerns raised.

During the review of child protection in July I myself suggested a child in need plan to help with the transition of 2 of my children into school. One of my children is autistic (awaiting the formal diagnosis) and my 2 younger children have developmental delay for there ages (2 and 3).
Since the child in need plan has been in place I have had no support from any of the professionals involved. The plan had been followed and everything has been acted upon as needed even with the covid situation. I have allowed the social worker to enter my home to check "home conditions" and there has never been any concerns with this.
All health needs are being met for all children from various professionals for example speech and language therapy/audioligy and all appointments are attended or rearranged where needed.
All children are in education and my youngest will be attending play group once his 2 older siblings are in school fulltime (this will take sometime with Ben as he is autistic) but I have arranged that going forward I can arrange for him to attend on either a Monday or a Tuesday when dad is not in work to take care of the other children.

I also have enough evidence via messages and emails to confirm that on many occasions meetings have been missed/late/changed, school (my older child who is 14) have not adhered to previously agreed targets and our health visitor has had practically no involvement other than a visit in July that I was backed into a corner over (basically I was told if she did not visit my home we would remain on child protection and this was during lockdown while I had 3 small children at home)  this was also rushed because of there failings to make the appointment previously. Also on many occasions I was told I "needed to give up my job" and I did this in the end due to the constant remarks surrounding my children's needs.

My children aged 3 and 4 are in school now against my better judgement for my 4 year old which has now been seen as the school want him moved to a special school.

I have been allocated a new social worker (no reason given for this when the social worker we had has developed a good relationship with my children) the new social worker cam and visited me on 16th last Monday and told me that she didn't see that the plan was needed anymore as all the relevant support was from health with various professionals e.g. speech and language/pediatrician ect. I warned her that the health visitor has been problamatic through out and that i have had no contact with her since july despite during a meeting in september promising the childrens developmental checks would be completed by the end of october (this has not been done).She was holding a professionals meeting on Tuesday to gather together everyone's views on this ready for our review next week on 23rd. She called me after the meeting with very different views to the previous day stating that she is worried that going forward she feels we may struggle with the children's appointments and managing them. (I kmow this was the health visitors doing).

At this point I advised that I had not recieved any support since being placed on the child in need plan and that no appointments had been missed and I feel that the plan is no longer working for my family. She asked would I consider being put in touch with a group that offers support if needed for things like appointments/childcare to which I agreed and said yes because it could be useful in the future. After I advised that I no longer needed the plan she said she would speak to her manager and she rang me back today to say that her manager wants the plan to stay for a short while (again to "oversee" the children attending medical apps ect) and again I have now refused so she is apparently going to call a strategy meeting. She advised that she dosent see that we fit the criteria for child protection do she isn't sure what the outcome will be. She continued to advise that she will no longer be our social worker (she has only been with us for approximately 3 weeks).

As you can read from the above this has been a farce for sometime now and I'm becoming very frustrated with it all and feel like I'm being cornered all the time and made to agree to something that clearly is not doing anything to help my children And I taking up my time with my children.

Please if someone has been through similar could you advise?

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child in need plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Dear Kelvis,

Welcome to the Parents Board. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser.

I can see that your children were placed on a child protection plan about a year ago but because you worked well with services, the child protection plan was ended and with your suggestion, a child in need plan was put in place.

You have attended all your children’s appointments, but it looks like you have complained against some of the professionals due to appointments being changed, late and missed by professionals.
The new social worker seemed keen to close children services file. However, after a professionals meeting (I assume with the health professionals) her view has changed. She offered you support under early help -a group who can help with appointments. But her manager has now asked that the child in need plan continues for a short while. When you disagreed to this, children services called a strategy discussion to see whether there should be a child protection investigation.
For there to have been a CP plan in the first place, the CP conference must have decided that they had evidence to “suspect” that your children had suffered significant harm or are likely to suffer significant harm. One or more categories (neglect, emotional abuse, physical abuse or sexual abuse) would have been given. Which category was used in your case? If it was neglect, this does not seem to be a current issue anymore. But the health professionals might be worried that without the pressure of a social worker, you might miss appointments again.

Try and find out what health are worried by asking the social worker. Then you could address their worries.
It may well be easier to agree to a child in need plan again, if you can, if they decide to hold a further CP conference.
What about contacting the National Autistic Society for advice and support?

Here is information about strategy meetings which links off to our child protection advice sheet.

I hope my advice helps but please post again if you have any questions.
Best wishes,
Suzie

Kelviz

Post by Kelviz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

Child protection was put in place because they believed that my children were not having there medical needs met so was under the categorie or "neglect".

Lots of false information was used to gain this and myself and my partner constantly called liars.

Fast forward we have overcome the worst of the situation and things are as stated before absolutely great. The issue is that the health visitor constantly tries to look into the future for example she will say things like "but what if this were to happen" she has had limited contact with my 3 youngest children and before today I haven't heard from her since July! She is due to complete a developmental check for all 3 younger children and I have spoken to her today and arranged a visit this week for my youngest who is 2 and another for her to go into school to complete the checks for my 3 and 4 year olds however she stated that she really dosent need to do one on my 2 year old but the social worker has requested it?

As I stated in my first post all of my children are receiving the support that they need from the correct services and all of this has been completed and put in place by myself with no help from the social worker or the health visitor at all with no appointments missed. My home conditions have raised no concerns at all through all of the process and no concerns have been raised regarding the children.

I feel that the health visitor has been moving the goal posts since day one and is setting unrealistic goals due to the support that is needed for example speech and language therapy and my social workers have both agreed with this and the new one which has only been involved for a very short time about 6 weeks was all for the plan being removed until she had a "professionals" meeting which I know and have spoken to all of the professionals involved (teachers) who are more than happy and have raised no concerns apart from my son who is autistic and is being assessed for a special school so my opinion is that the health visitor is being over the top and is putting obstacles in our way even though she hasn't even been involved at all and last seen my children in July.

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Dear kelvis,

You may now have a decision from the strategy meeting as these are usually held very quickly due to concerns about risk and to avoid any delay.
From the information you give in your post, it seems unlikely that it will go back to a child protection conference as it looks like you have addressed everything.
You have not missed any health appointments and you have agreed to access support from the organisation that helps with appointments.
You continue to work with the health visitor and social worker. As you say, if there were any concerns in the future then another referral can be made.
If it was taken back to a conference and this was due to neglect, then the evidence seems to suggest the opposite and you can argue this in the conference.
Ask the social worker to outline to you in writing why the professionals appear to be still concerned about your children.

Kind regards,
Suzie

Kelviz

Post by Kelviz » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Thank you Susie for your reply :)

So far I have not heard anything back from the social worker and no word of a strategy meeting (not sure if this is a good thing or not) I was thinking that they do not have enough to call a strategy meeting and maybe are going to close the case.

Hopefully this is the end of a complete nightmare!

Thank you for your help I will update when I have some news

Take care :)