Narrative core assessment and plo

Minnie

Re: Narrative core assessment and plo

Post by Minnie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:35 am

Hi Suzie

Yesterday was the case management hearing,the local authority decided on Thursday that they weren't going to go for an Ico which I'm told is a positive to getting the children home. The only other thing that was decided yesterday was the need for a child psychologist and this was decided to have one,along with a family dynamics assessment. They have court dates for June and July. Thè only other thing that has come from this is a contract of expectations due to no Ico,not sure what this is going to include. My understanding of this that the contract of expectations is part of plo process,from what I gather this plo is covering this current court process. In January,when I was told that care proceedings were been issued,I said that everything that needs to be done,could be done with the girls home. I think what I meant by that,it could be done without going to court. The school have said the same that it too early to go to court and that was at the child protection conference two weeks ago.
It was pointed out that social worker at the original child protection conference in November said that this will be going to court. He was told by the police that you will be going alone. We had no chance,I have done everything that I have been asked to date and am still prepared to.
My barrister thinks that children will be returned to myself or their father. His solicitor has said it not looking good about the children been returned,I'm assuming she means him.
I'm feeling positive about this,they only thing that I'm worried about,the judge didn't rule out twin tracking for my youngest daughter. It was stated that age,needs and the bond that my daughters have will make this unlikely(she is 6 and has behaviour needs). This will be revisited at the next court date.

Minnie

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:41 am

Dear Minnie

Thanks for posting an update.

It is good that at the case management hearing Children Services decided not to pursue an interim care order. This means that your children remain looked after under s.20 and they do not share parental responsibility with you.

The court dates you refer to are likely to be the issues resolution hearing in June and the final hearing in July. As you may be aware, the case must end 26 weeks after the application. What you need to do now is continue to cooperate with Children Services and work with the contract of expectations. At the moment, they may accept that there is not enough evidence to get an interim care order but if you do not work with them, it could be said that you are not engaging to safeguard your children. I am sure your legal team will explain the details of contract of expectations as its terms should have been discussed at least in outline at the hearing.

I suggest that you discuss the contract with your solicitor before signing it. It is quite usual for the court to direct a psychological assessment where it considers that this will assist the court in reaching its decision on the future of the children.

From what you say, it seems that Children Services might have issued care proceedings prematurely as other professionals did not support this course of action.

Your barrister has all the details relating to your case and can assess the possible outcome. If your children’s father is not engaging and working with Children Services, then the likelihood of him been assessed as a long term carer for the children will be reduced. All the things you mention regarding your youngest daughter have to be taken into account for all the children when deciding on the children welfare and in their best interests.

Children Services usually carry out twin track planning in care proceedings as they have to have an alternative in place should the parents or family members not being able to care for the children. They do have to consider the long term plan for the children’s upbringing to ensure that they have secure, safe and appropriate long term care.

Do continue to be positive. I am sure this will help you in the case and moving forward. Your legal team is there to advice and support you through the process. You have already been sent a link to our advice sheet relating to care proceedings and I suggest you read this if you have not already done so for more details.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, feel free to telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi

I have been to the children's Lac review,I was told today that the foster carers don't want to look after my girls anymore because of the children's level of contact with myself and their dad,the children's activities and the possibility of weekend contact. I worried now especially as my youngest daughter doesn't adapt to change well. She went into respite foster care for a few days in February,she returned from this and affected her behaviour. I have been told that this will be a managed move.
I'm also concerned that my daughter is been twin track for adoption,I was prepared to go along with this as it part of the care proceedings and my barrister feels that the girls will be returned home. I have been given the paperwork to complete,I'm reluctant to fill this in as I don't want my daughter to be adopted and even though this is unlikely. I don't want to make this an easy option.
Very sad and scared mummy

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:40 pm

Dear Minnie,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

I am also sorry to hear that the foster carer no longer is able to care for your children. She is having difficulty managing the level of contact, the increase to weekend contact and the children activities.

I know it will be difficult for your children. On the upside-it shows that you are having a good level of contact and you might be able to help your children manage the change. It is a very positive step that your contact may be increased.

Is there anyone in the friend or family network who the children could move to? They would need to be able to pass a fostering assessment.
Children services should consider placing with friends or family before stranger foster care.

In respect of the adoption paperwork, it is understandable that you feel cautious. Please take it to your solicitor who should be able to advise you about completing it.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:25 pm

We have all just about completed the assessments necessary in regards to the courts, a child psychologist assessment and parenting assessments. The process so far seems positive for me and the girls coming back to me. The alternative to me is the children's father,6 weeks ago it could have gone either way,me or him. He has written statement to the court,he spent 9 pages for character assinating me and in his current partner's medical records,it said that she threw him out and almost committed suicide. She spent time on a psychiatric Ward whilst she was pregnant. My solicitor has said these two things aren't positive for him having the girls.
My youngest daughter is really suffering emotionally at the moment,she telling me she loves me and wants to come home. It is affecting her behaviour,she has some behaviour issues prior to been in care. My oldest daughter is same without the behaviour issues.
I don't know what to do, my concerns are falling on deaf ears with children's services. I think they should come home , it's almost 8 weeks into the 26 weeks. The children are accommodated under section 20. My solicitor thinks the decision of where the children are going to live will be assessment paperwork. The issue resolution hearing is the 2nd week of June. If it's positive for them to come home to me,children will need to be rehabilated home and this could before June.
Any advice on how to handle this?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi Minnie

Things seem to be going very positively- hopefully you are on track to having the girls home as soon as possible.

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you are asking in your last post- are you wanting advice about the process of the children being rehabilitated home?

Let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Suzie

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Yes,I think I probably am. The child psychologist report is in and it is positive to return them home to me.

Minnie

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Dear Minnie,

The assessments appear to be recommending that your children are returned home to you. This is really good news.
However, you are increasingly concerned about the emotional welfare of your children while they remain in care.

Does the psychologist make any recommendations about therapeutic support and support to help your children settle back home? Once they are settled back then it is common for any therapeutic support recommended to be put in place.

Raise your concerns with your solicitor so that these can be included in the negotiations around support. It would be better for any support offered, to be written into the plan so that you can refer to it if there is any problems actually getting the local authority to fund the support at a later date.

Once all the expert reports have been filed with the court, I would expect children services to file a statement setting out their position and a plan. If they are supporting a rehabilitation, the plan should include the details of this. As well as the practicalities –about how long will it all take, and support offered, it should also include the legal position and whether they will be seeking any orders such as a care order or supervision order or no order.

Find out from your solicitor what is likely to happen over the next few months. What can you do to speed things up? What about other legal orders such as child arrangement orders for securing the children and for contact?
The issues resolution hearing can be used as the final hearing so the rehabilitation could have already taken place by this time.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Minnie

Post by Minnie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Yes,the psychologist is recommending the children return home with support and there has been a further change. The Children’s foster carers have pulled out with immediate effect,the social worker has persuaded them to keep them until Friday. The children are under section 20 and with the recommendations to come home. I'm worried/hoping the could come home instead of been placed in another foster carer. They have been in respite twice in the last five weeks which have had a very unsettling effect on my youngest,it has affected her behaviour,combined with her existing behaviour issues. It has been a recipe for disaster