What was I made to sign?

ladyp

What was I made to sign?

Post by ladyp » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:16 am

When I was in hospital (ectopic pregnancy) I had to sign a hand written section 20 when I came out they made me sign a typed one but it had changed completely which wasn't explained to me. I ended up signing my son away for 26 weeks and supervised contact and can't find out whether it was a legal section 20 thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: What was I made to sign?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Dear ladyp

Welcome back to the Parents’ Discussion Forum.

I am sorry that you are confused by what you were asked to sign when you were in hospital.

It is not clear from your post whether Children Services were already involved with you and your son or you asked for help because you were going into hospital. If you asked for help so that someone could care for him whilst you were in hospital, then you would have signed a s.20 so that he could be accommodated by Children Services.

At the time you were asked to sign this, the social worker should have given you a full explanation of the effect of the s.20 and give you the opportunity to seek legal advice. It may of course have been an emergency situation as you went into hospital with an ectopic pregnancy.

If you only agreed for your son to be accommodated during the time you were in hospital, it is unclear why you say you have signed him away. Did Children Services already have concerns about your care of your son? Was he on a child protection plan?

It would be helpful in you could post again under the parents discussion topics with more information about your and you son’s situation.

Our advice sheet advice sheet about Children Services duties where a child is in the care system may help you to understand your situation better.

Alternatively, you may wish to telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366 to speak to an Adviser. The advice line is open from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 Monday to Friday.

Best wishes,

Suzie