Social services sex register and contact

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am

Social services sex register and contact

Post by Orange1234 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello I have recently found out my my partner was sending explicit pics of him self to my 15 year old daughter his step daughter she didn’t really like him so she didn’t see him as her father. I have two children with this man. He is currently under investigation while police look into it. My question is if he’s charged how would he see the children. And also if he’s not charged is there anything legal that can stop him seeing his children obviously I would like it supervised but if If in the future and my daughter has left the home due to moving out would he be able to come to the home to see his 2 children or would social services have a legal right to get involved

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Social services sex register and contact

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:46 am

Dear Orange1234,

Welcome to the Parent’s Forum.

I am sorry to hear about your partner’s arrest for sending explicit picture of himself to your 15 year old daughter, his step daughter.

I assume that a referral has been made to children services and that they are or will be carrying out an assessment .

The assessment should look at your children’s needs including any support that could be offered to them. For example, your daughter may need support to help her deal with what has happened.
The assessment will also look at your parenting capacity. So your ability to protect your children from your partner will be an important part of this.

Your question is about your partner’s contact with his children.

Children services will want to assess this.

At the moment the police are investigating. I expect they have taken the computer devices from the home, to be forensically examined, to see whether there is evidence of other sex offences.
At this point in time, until children services know more, they have to assume the worse –that your partner could be dangerous to all your children, including his own.
So they will expect you to protect them from his possible risk to them.
He will not be allowed, contact with your 15 year old (as she may have to give evidence against him) nor does she want any contact with him.
So you are right to assume he will not be allowed in the family home at the moment.

In respect of the younger children, he may be allowed some contact at this stage. However, it will definitely need to be supervised-may be in a contact centre or by a social worker or a family member being assessed to supervise. Understandably, I can imagine you would not want to supervise it. Also, you need to be mindful of your 15 year old emotional needs. She may be upset if you were having any substantial contact with him. Children services or the police may also be worried that he will groom you to pressurise you daughter to withdraw her statement.

If he is charged, then children services are likely to wait for the outcome of the criminal proceedings before finalising decisions around contact. If he was found guilty, for example, he may be able to access support to reduce his risk to children via probation.

If he was found not guilty or was not charged, then children services may still have concerns about him. So they would need to be sure that you as mum can protect your children from him.

This is because in family law, the balance of proof is on the balance of probabilities (51% he is risky to children to 49% he isn’t.) Where as in criminal law the police have to prove-beyond reasonable doubt-much harder to do.

You ask whether your partner could have contact in the family home if your daughter has moved out.
Yes that is certainly a possibility.
A lot will depend on the age of your children and the outcome of the risk assessment of him. But it may mean you may not be able to leave either child with dad alone-not even for a minute-as sexual abuse can happen in seconds. As you would not be able to supervise your children at night, he may not be able to stay overnight.

One of the difficulties for dad can be getting an independent assessment. Dad would, I imagine, want an in-depth forensic assessment.
For more information about support available for your daughter, yourself as protector and information about assessments of dad, you could look at the Parents Protect website or the contact the NSPPC.

I hope this advice helps. If you have any questions or need further advice, please post again or call our free and confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes,


Post Reply