Social services home visit

WorriedMum05

Social services home visit

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Thoughts please?
There was an incident in my home back in April.
My ex pushed a door open on my face In front of my son. It was accidental but the neighbours called the police.
We were questioned and the police tried to stick 2 assault charges and one of reckless and culpable behaviour on him.
My son was questioned at school and social services turned up at my sons school and interviewed him. I was told that if I left my ex near my son they would take my son away.
I followed the rules.
We went to court. My ex was cleared of assault but did get a charge or reckless behaviour.
6 months since the incident and last hearing from social services I received a letter.
The letter states that a social worked ‘in training’ is coming to do a home visit to access the impact of the incident on my son and assess if he faces any risks.
Surely if they were concerned they would have been in touch long before now.
We had finally managed to put this behind us. My son is doing great at school. We have a lovely home and are settled.
Are they just doing this as routine or should I be worried?
I really am quite upset about this. Never been involved with social services before.

Miserylovescompany2

Re: Social services home visit

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello

Might I ask if you still have contact with your ex? As it isn't clear from your post.

I am assuming no case is currently open. Do you know if Children's services undertook a section 47? This would of been after the incident. There should of been an outcome if they did.

With regard to the letter you have received - I would phone them and request further clarification on their proposed visit. This could be a training exercise however the letter has caused you distress.

WorriedMum05

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm

I talk to him but he isn’t around my son or our home.
No not that I’m aware of. All I was told was if I let my ex see my son he would be taken away.
Nothing else has been said verbally or in writing until this letter came in.
I called and she said to assess the situation and she looks forward to meeting me.
I’m really distressed.
It says nothing about an initial or core assessment.

WorriedMum05

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:06 pm

It also stares at top of letter she has been assigned to work with me and my son.

WorriedMum05

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:06 pm

*states

Miserylovescompany2

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Then the six month void makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Surely any assessment would have been done in this significant time frame. Personally, I would consider if you wish to initiate a formal complaint because from what you have written CS have not followed their own protocol.

I would ask to speak with the person in charge of safeguarding then direct your questions to her/him. One of the questions would be - was there a section 47 carried out? As you received no paperwork. Also ask for the contact details of the safeguarding lead so you can follow up your conversation in writing and they can in-turn give you a written response. Ask for their complaints procedure to be posted to you.

Because they had given you an ultimatum and then nothing. Someone has messed up! SW could of left or your case was at the bottom of someone's pile?

It sounds like the police put in a child concern notification with CS and then they did not do what they are supposed to do.

WorriedMum05

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pm

I’m thinking the social worker maybe has left that I spoke to 6 months.
What exactly is protocol?
I was thinking someone had messed up.
It actually gets worse then because social work called my ex partners former girlfriend and mum of his son and asked if he was ok following the incident. He wasn’t even there.

I’m terrified as I know I’ve done nothing wrong. My son is my life.

Miserylovescompany2

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:19 pm

It should not matter if the SW has left, gone on the sick or whatever - your case should have been passed to another SW.

What you have just written makes me think the SW who initially responded to the police notification has not recorded the incident correctly. That is the only reason I can think of for this.

When a child notification is sent it should be acted upon. Certainly not in the way you have explained in your initial post. If CS had concerns they should of followed the correct procedure and that would have been a section 47 at the time. That was what I meant by protocol. CS are supposed to be transparent in their actions.(unless there is a serious risk to a child and by doing so would place that child at even greater risk of harm. In those circumstances CS would either work together with the police and/or seek an emergency order from a court to remove the child...)

In your case they have responded in a way that was not transparent. You have no paperwork - it looks like the SW who has picked this up can't make sense of what has (or has not) been written.

They are probably hoping you don't pick up on their error...

WorriedMum05

Post by WorriedMum05 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:00 pm

I thought after not hearing from them for 6 months they would not be taking anything any further.

I’m going to write all this down and get in touch with them tomorrow.

Thank you.

Miserylovescompany2

Post by Miserylovescompany2 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:31 pm

I forgot to ask - did a SW ever visit you initially at your home? Because they should have. If it was all done over the phone did the initial SW give their name? This is also important because again they should have.

What you have described is heavy handed tactics - it is poor working practice and should most definitely be reported. This is what gives CS a bad name.

Might I also add - whatever was written will be kept on file (if they bothered to even enter it on the system?). The police child concern notification will be there and attached to both yourself and your ex. If you wanted to find out what was written? You can do this by submitting a data request to your council. It does takes quite some time to come through - up to 45 working days if memory serves me. On the form you could ask for emails, hand written notes and internal memo's from both CS and your child's school. For the police you would have to request the data directly from them.

I hope you get some answers. Good luck.